Handgun Finishes - Personal Experiences.

SIG

Let's list some personal experiences for some that may want to add an extra special finish to their prized possession. This includes ANY gun whatsoever. Engraving work is also accepted.

Who are the reputable gunsmiths that we can trust (Robar, etc.....)????????

I am also looking to put an aftermarket finish on my P7-M8.

Robar NP3 is my absolute favorite with AZ Response Systems coming in a close 2nd. Others I have used are Birdsong, Checkmate, and Teddy's. I believe that AZ Response Systems got the contract for all of the HK firearms. Try them for a stock finish. They can also do two tone if you like that.

Sig, I thought you weren't into "...nickel plated sissy pistols" ?

Too bad, a hard chromed P7 M8 would be interesting.

[This message has been edited by MusclesMcGee (edited December 12, 1999).]

Accurate Plating and Weaponry/Cogan Custom in Safety Harbor FL does absoulutely outstanding hardchrome work. They can also do black chrome, blueing and parkerizing.

Mike

No nickel plated sissy pistols allowed for ME.

Others may like them, I prefer matte. Someday I might get into them, but i'm still young. That might have something to do with it.

I am looking for reputable work. Most GS who do nickel plating also do matte or tenifer finishes.

As Always, "Get rid of that nickel plated sissy pistol and get yourself a glock"Tommy Lee Jones

I had a S&W 5904 Rogarded on slide, NP3 internals and frame a year and a half back. The black rogard started chipping off above the breechface within 50 rds. Robar said it was a warranty problem, and fixed it, no charge. The NP3 has worn a bit faster than I would like, the Customer Service rep said it was probably not wearing, just polishing the matte finish down to a shine at the high points. He offered to have it fixed as warranty work, said he wanted me to be satisfied. I didn't get it fixed, it's not bad and it took them weeks longer to do it and re-do it than they said it would. The good things-very attractive black on the Rogard slide, and the NP3 on the internals was like a free trigger job, definitely slicked up. If I had it to do over, I'd just NP3 the internals and Rogard frame and slide. I keep hearing about Black-T finishes, anybody got a personal review and cost estimate? Just curious.

[This message has been edited by Jhp147 (edited December 12, 1999).]

My KelTec P-11 was showing a little carry wear on the slide, so I sent it to fellow KTOGer Jack Fuselier in Texas for a matte nickel plate job. He did a wonderful job for me, and now I don't worry about the finish at all. Made the gun look a little nicer,too. A good value for me.

------------------
So many a'holes-- so few bullets!------
Ford Fairlane

I live in Florida, so sweat and humidity can really eat up gun finishes on carry guns. I have had very good luck with stainless of course and with hard chrome.

Anyone have any experience with the black chrome from Accurate Plating & Weaponry? I have seen it advertised, and am curious. Is it is as hard as chrome with a black finish, as the name implies?

I've had a P7M8 with Walter Birdsong's Black-T finish for about 18 months. It is very attractive and looks much like the matt finish on a Leopold scope. I'm not sure how durable it is. The gun has not been shot much since refinished and not subjected to lots of holster wear. I suspect Hard chrome is hard to beat for a gun that will be frequently carried or shot. I've had good luck with Metaloy in Arkansas. Anyone have personal experience with Accurate Plating & Weaponry's Hard chrome finish?

JH

I've had several pistols done by Walt Birdsong. His Black T is an excellent finish (40,000 hrs+ salt water corrosion protection!). Teflon coated finishes don't hold up as well as hard chrome, but the only noticeable wear on my Birdsong finished Sig 220 (not holstered or carried but shot a bunch) is on the barrel hood. IIRC, Walt last quoted me a price of $120 which includes complete pistol and 2 mags. Xtra mags $10 each. I live in Miss, just up the road from Walt's place, and I believe he charges maybe $20 more for out of state jobs.
Tip from Birdsong: To preserve the finish of a teflon coating, keep the inside of your holster clean!

Bob Cogan's crew at AP&W hard chromed the frame of one of my 1911s. Excellent job, good turnaround and pricing. I love a tu-toned pistol. This frame matched up with a slide whose flats have been polished to a 1500grit mirror blued finish makes for an awesome looking pistol.

pics of this 1911 at: http://members.tripod.com/BK_GLOCK_1911_PAGE/BAER.html

bk40--just checked out the pics of your 1911. Still wiping the drool off my keyboard! Incredibly beautiful pistol.

Sic semper tyrannis

freedomlover

freedomlover,
thanks for the compliments! that pistol is my special baby, looks great and shoots even better :)

Ben,
Birdsong has no website. You can contact him at:
601.939.7448 or 601.939.9211
1435 Monterey Rd
Florence, MS 39073

BK40 or anybody

What would you choose if you had the choice between Birdsong's Black-T or APW's Black Chrome? and why?

Here's another question can they apply Black-T or Black Chrome over aluminum? I don't know too much about the plating process.

Another question BK40 do you have any pics of your Black Chromed pistols for comparison?

Thanks
Ross T.

I had my 1911 finished in hard chrome by Metalife. The finish is beautiful. Sort of like stainless but color is a bit deeper. Cost was $95 and the work was finished as quoted 3-4 weeks. I wouldn't hesitate to send them another gun. I don't know how you can beat their service or price.

ROSANGHAL,

No experience with black chrome. Black T can be applied to aluminium with excellent results.

One extra thing to mention about Black-T on aluminum. It is applied over the anodizing. This is good because the anodizing gives the frame additional strength. The only bad thing about Black-T is the turnaround time. My P226 took 6 weeks door to door. Birdsong's finish does not require lubrication.

How about Bearcoat?

Anybody with any personal experience with them and the Matte Black Bearcoat? Gipes? Praises? Turnaround? Looks?

Thanks again
Ross T.

Just curious - how would powder coating work on a firearm? I know there are a lot of places that do this work & it's available in black, chrome, blue, green, etc. I think I remember seeing a "do-it-at-home" kit.

Any thoughts?

Back