Handgun CLP Question

Handgunner00

Just acquired a mint condition Colt Python that had been cleaned, lubed and protected with a synthetic CLP called Eezox. Heard good things about Eezox, but the previous owner did not apply it evenly and lightly as the instructions specify. Its appearance no longer reflects the beautiful Colt Royal Blue finish. I need to remove this Eezox, but want to be sure I don't damage the finish underneath. Suggestions please.

Peter

Give EEZOX a call and ask them (800) 350-8999.

My best guess would be to give it another coat of EEZOX, then wipe it all off.

But - as you say, why chance anything?

Are you saying that there is some kind of hardened lubricant coating on the gun? If that is the case, most any other CLP should remove it.

Not to ruin your day, but if the lubricant has hardened on the outside of the gun, it has probably behaved similarly on the inside of the gun as well. While the mess on the outside is merely cosmetic and irritating, hardened lubricant inside the gun can cause problems with function.

A spray cleaner/dry lube like Hornady One Shot, that evaporates completely leaving a completely dry film might be a good option for getting the gun clean and relubricated without leaving a lot of wet lubricant inside the gun.

Followed the advise of cw308 and gave my Python a bath in Ballistol - now sparkling clean inside and out and the Colt Royal Blue is again glistening. Think I'll avoid the synthetic stuff for now.

Peter

Back