Handgun Action????

Cyric13

I'm pretty new to guns and I'm trying to decide on what kind of action to get my first semi-auto handgun in. But the thing is I'm not sure exactly what they all mean. So I need someone to clear it up for me.
SA= heavier trigger pull with shorter pull distance?
DAO= longer, lighter trigger pull and gun goes into safe mode after each shot?
DA/SA= first shot has long DA trigger and all other shots in SA mode?
And if you had to choose between them what would you pick and what features would you look for in the gun(safties, etc...). I plan too buy this gun and pratice and keep praticing until I'm comfortable with it and all its functions.
So I'm willing and open to all knowledge.

Thanks in Advance, Cyric13

SA (single action): Short 3.5lb to 5.5lb trigger pull every time the trigger is pulled.

DAO (double action only): Long 9lb to 12lb
trigger pull. Like a revolver that cannot
be cocked manually.

DA/SA (double action/single action): First
shot is long and heavy between 9lb to 12lbs, like a revolver. After that, the pull is short and in the 3.5lb to 5.5lb range.

Trigger pull weights depend on the manufacturer of the firearms. Some are heavier than others.

For a first semi-auto, the choice is up to you. Get you're most comfortable with.

Let form follow function. What sort of uses do you have in mind?

For competition and recreation, most shooters prefer a single action pistol to get the best trigger pull. For personal defense, some shooters prefer a DA/SA, DAO or "safe action" (Glock) pistol for the sake of point-n-shoot simplicity.

Aside from use, the other major factors are what fits your hand well and how much you're willing to spend.

If you don't have to have a safety, the simplest thing would be a good double action
revolver such as a S&W .38 or .357. You can pick one up used for $200 to $350.

If an auto is definitely d, go with a Glock for simplicity, accuracy, and reliability. If you want an exterior safety,
get a Sig. Either of these will be about
$500 new or $400 used, depending on the deal
you find.

If these are to expensive, Kel-Tec and Taurus
make good quality pistols in the $250 to $350
range.

As stated before, find one that feels good to
you! then learn to use it well. Good Luck
and safe shooting.

Dave

I don't actually KNOW anything, but I thought I saw a discussion here in which everyone accepted that SIG's don't have external safeties? This was one reason I decided I didn't want a SIG. Someone knowledgeable please clear this up.

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

Dear cyric13
can i suggest for your first gun you get a Glock, they are cheap, very accurate, simple to break down and clean, very few parts (glock 17 has only 33 parts) and it is easy to get used to shooting. by the way it is a "safe-action." defined above. I would put my life behind a Glock, any glock!!

Well, all these reccomendations are good... but the BEST thing you could do is go out and:
1) dry fire (firing without any ammo) as many handguns as you can find in your price range. (be sure to go during a time where your gun shop is NOT busy,).Specifically a GUN SHOP, not a sports store because a gun shop is more likely to take their time with you, answer your questions with more knowledge, etc. etc.
2) Pick a few that feel the best to you and that you like the most, and rent them so you can try actual firing of them. (Thus narrowing down your selection more)
3) Once you have narrowed it down to 1-2 guns, tell us about it and we will make sure you are not buying a gun notorious for shooting bullets in the wrong direction
4) Make your final selection, and find the cheapest price for it.

This is what I did, and I could NOT be happier. I got EXACTLY what I wanted, not what everyone else thinks is cool, or what everyone else has, or what is the latest trend, but what I like. I'm buyin the trendy stuff next! =) (i.e. I want a .357 Sig)
Happy hunting!
Let us know!

<<edit>> actually I must admit I paid ten dollars more for my gun than I needed to because I decided to give the gun store that gave me so much help in selecting my weapon my business... ten dollars, it was worth it.
------------------
"...you're thinkin was that 5 shots or was it 6? Well, you've gotta ask yourself one question: Do you feel lucky??? ...Well, do ya PUNK!?!?

[This message has been edited by Beretta Boy (edited December 09, 1999).]

Most SIG pistols (the P220, P226, P228, P229, P232, and the Sig Pro series) do not have external safeties. They are a DA/SA design with a decocking lever on the left side of the frame.

Some folks consider the SIGs safer than Glocks because the first shot requires a longer, heavier trigger pull, but neither design uses an external safety lever. Both pistols do have multiple internal safeties (and, in the Glock's case, a trigger safety) to prevent accidental discharges caused by actions other than pulling the trigger.

As a rule of thumb, I don't judge a pistol's safety by the number of "safety" levers it sports. We can argue about which trigger system is best but the fact is that many thousands of people have used each type of pistol without mishap.

Matt, thanks for clearing that up. I agree, don't eliminate any gun because of lack of a safety--there have been very few revolver designs ever to sport a safety and people have been using double action revolvers for a LONG time. The reasons I'd like a safety on a semiauto are personal in nature:
1. I'm a convert from shotguns, used mostly for hunting, and fairly well trained to use a safety quickly under pressure, so I feel confident that I can use a gun whose manual of arms includes taking the safety on and off.
2. A safety is one more safeguard a child/dumb adult has to figure out and defeat before accidentally firing your pistol. This should never happen, but you never know. I'm less concerned about someone making a grab for the weapon since I can't carry, but if you carry this could be a good reason. Often the thug can't figure out the safety before you get your backup out or (in my case) bring a knife into play to get distance and make him drop the gun.
3. My fiancee is new to guns of any type and a safety makes her feel better. Is it really safer than a Glock? I don't know, but just holding the Glock made her nervous at the last gun show so I cater to the perception for now.

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

Thanks for all the responses guys. This would be my first semi-auto. I'm planning on using this gun for home/personnal defense and for shooting. I might decide to get into shooting? I plan on spemding as much time as I can(which should be alot)praticing. Not alot of places locally to actually try or rent gun at but I'm looking. I probaly going with a SA?

thanks, Cyric13

The 1911 in all it's forms seems to be the weapon of choice for most of the competitors that visit TFL. I own a Springfield Loaded full size that I am very happy with, some others are rather fanatical in their devotion to Kimbers. (Not as bad as Glock owners tho, Hmmm wonder if Glock puts a mind control device in the box with the gun?) SA Loaded blue <>$499 local, Kimber same basic model <>$575 local.

------------------
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." -Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-8.

Back