hand-to-hand combat pistol from ZM weapons?

dragontooth73

hello, i read the thread on the pistol as an impact weapon, and it occured to me sometime last year that i'd read in some foreign gun rag that Alan Zitta came out with (i think) a 9mm semiautomatic pistol with a serrated muzzle brake and a spiked(?) magazine extension stiking about an inch from the pistol butt. this was supposedly a concept weapon and i've tried to look it up to no avail. anyone out there know anything about it?

American Handgunner, I think, had a cover story on something like this.

It was supposed to be a SEAL CQB gun.

The butt spike was particularly useful in tap, rack and bang drills. :)

If my "steel sieve" memory serves, he has made a 1911 version. The idea is that convict herders like sheriffs and Bureau of Prisons guys need something for those rough customers who have practiced disarm methods and are willing to mix it up. On the one I saw, there wasn't a muzzle brake but rather a muzzle guard (with spikes, of course) that is connected to the frame, so that pushing on the muzzle end of the gun does not move the slide back (and thus out of battery).

I believe the grip was designed to help retention, and aside from the spike thing there were other sharpened features to discourage a gun grab.

thank you EnochGale, Ivanhoe :) i was starting to lose sleep over it ... i didn't know he had a .45 version. is it commercially available? if not, know of any gunsmiths who'd do the work?

I don't think there's a production version of the thing, but if you've got enough money and can convince Zitta that you really need one, I'm sure he'll build a custom one for you. Dunno about other smiths, I'm not a 1911 guy.

Also consider that you're going to need a special holster, and all those sharp edges are going to reach out and chew on your clothes, your hide, your car seats, etc. Lot of reasons why its not a popular thing.

ZM weapons has worked on CQB features that include for the 1911 something akin to the AFB marketed by GGG, an extended m/s housing for striking, and fins machined on the rear of the slide to prevent the blocking of the hammer during grappling. He is a forward thinking smith, and of the modifications we've encountered, the serrated strike plate is probably the nicest.

HTH!

------------------
SKD Tactical Accessories
www.skdtac.com
Your source for hard-core, no-bs gear.

Back