Hand Salute

tegemu

The Secretary's of all the services had already authorized it and Congress recently voted unanimously to permit Service Personnel in civilian clothes and Veterans to render tha hand salute instead of placing their hands over their hearts , when a salute is appropriate. This is in recognition of the honor due them.

Am I missing something here?
As a vet, why would I need permission from Congress to salute anything, anywhere, at any time?
I wasn't aware there was a law that requires me to put my hand over my heart or one that prohibits me from saluting in such situations.
Active duty personnel are always subject to the various rules & regs inherent in being service members, but neither the Secretaries nor Congress has any authority over me in telling me I can or can't salute anything or anybody.
Saluting is a gesture of respect, it ain't copyrighted by the military, and it ain't (as far as I know) forbidden to anybody who's not military.
The hand over the heart is merely a traditional sign of respect, it's neither mandated nor governed by legislation, and I can't see a huge problem if anybody, or everybody (aside from AD personnel), choses to salute instead.
I also don't recall ever being told that I could not salute if I was in civilian clothes when I was AD.
Can somebody help me out? Appears to be a waste of time.
Denis

I didn't know we couldn't salute either. I've been active duty Army for going on 11 yrs. now and I always salute when at a game/sporting event as oppossed to putting my hand over my heart. Wouldn't supprised me if it's against UCMJ though. I hope it gets passed.

I will damn well render a Hand Salute when I feel it is appropriate, and I do not need any senator's or congresscrat's permission!

My Uncle Sam told me not to do it as a Veteran in civvies. I figure the rules are the rules and to ignore them is disrespectful.

I'd like to render a hand salute, but until it goes through, I wont.

Here's a (not so serious) question. These days, I'm always under arms. A hand salute isn't appropriate, right? What's a CHL holder to do?

Here's a (not so serious) question. These days, I'm always under arms. A hand salute isn't appropriate, right? What's a CHL holder to do?
You're carrying a rifle or shotgun? If your handgun is holstered a hand salute is indeed the method. That's the serious answer.;)

My Uncle Sam never told me that, as far as I can recall.
Even if he had, the respect in question is for the flag, which one ups respect for Sam.
Sorry, but I decide who, what & where I may salute, not Sam & not Congress. :)
Denis

I have rendered the hand salute exactly 4 times as a civilian. All were while wearing DCU's and standing in front of a pair of boots and a rifle stuck into the sand with a K-pot on it.

Special occasions only for me, even if they aren't good ones. :(

Hey Denis,

Always like your articles.

As far as the 'not in uniform salute' thing goes, the rules are noted in U.S. Code Title 4, Chapter 1; The same place that the proper respect for the flag and all other flag related courtesies are codified.

Just my opinion, but I'd no more ignore one of these rules than I would take a match to a brand new flag or fly it improperly.

If everybody "did their own thing" with regard to Our Flag, I might get upset with some folks' idea of respect. I'll bet you would, too.

We don't get the liberty of picking and choosing the ones we like. If we did, we might be considered hypocrites for attacking those that do the same thing to the Bill of Rights.

Until the official rules are changed, I'll abide by what the code says.

Mayhap you'll reconsider, but maybe not...Again, just my opinion.

I will damn well render a Hand Salute when I feel it is appropriate, and I do not need any senator's or congresscrat's permission!

With all respect to the veterans/posters in this thread, I think that's why they're changing the regulation.

As a veteran, I can not salute without a cover. In Marine-speak, a cover is your military headgear... Which I am no longer entitled to wear.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I will not disgrace my Corps, regardless of any change in Title 4.

however, army and i think air force salute indoors while uncovered, so maybe this will end up being an extension of that.

btw, I am Active Duty Navy, so i feel you Antipitas

Negative on the indoor Salute. Only when reporting for duty (which is rarely ever done) . And for the ex-Marine (just kidding), Do Marines salute while in PT Uniform?
Every morning at 0630, we salute the Flag in our PT's without headgear.

<--- Active Duty Army. Corps of Engineers.

Back