Hand Priming Tool Alternative

ninosdemente

I have been using an RCBS hand priming tool. After a while of priming a good amount of brass for me, the hand doesn't withstand so long before I have to stop and take a break before continuing again. I thought of using a press mounted priming tool but I rather not use that route and am more inclined for a table mounted one or similar.

I have seen these two online:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012932670?pid=457599

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012945298?pid=713545

What pros/cons to using these mounted priming tools? I don't make by the thousands in one seating but in the mid hundreds yes. Not sure if these methods do really cut down in time by some amount. I seen the rebate offer, so am trying to take advantage of it as well. Thanks in advanced.

Your option #1 or this LINK look ideal to me.

Sure wish K&M would make a tube fed bench unit. Their hand tool is great, while I still have the strength.

In the thread on primer seating, someone commented there is an aftermarket add-on for the RCBS to give you precision adjustment of seating depth distance below flush. That can be used to achieve the NOIH ideal of -0.002" to -0.004" reconsolidation (compression beyond the point where the anvil feet touch the bottom of the primer pocket).

Both are nice units for a steady primer feed system , how is it adjusted for seating depth or is it based on feel . Just got back into shooting AR so my volume in reloading 223 will be much higher then 308 , I'm sure I will relate better . I now use the RCBS Ram primer .

As they come, that is so. The aftermarket add-on looks like the dial indicator is to measure primer pocket depth and primer thickness for sorting your cases and primers, and then has an adjustable stop on the handle you set to hit a specific degree of crush by setting the head the correct distance below flush for the paired case and primer.

the dial indicator supplied with the add on is for checking depth after seating, I guess you could use it to check thickness of primer but I just tried and it is awkward at best. I normally use a Starrett 25-141 dial indicator to check the seating depth. The spindle is a perfect fit into a rifle small primer pocket if you unscrew the gauge head. The one Holland supplies works fine but I prefer the Starret becasue the spindle is flat, the gauge head on the one Holland supplies has a ogive shape and if not perfectly centered on the primer the metplat will fall into the small groove between the primer and primer pocket. You can also just use the depth stem on your calipers to check seating depth.

Like I said in the other thread the Holland tool is great and when I "monkey fisted" it and broke a part, I fired off a email with pics and a replacement was in the mail

I'm not sure if a medical condition is at play here in your case, but I thought I'd point out one thing. A pause is a good thing. I have a Lyman hand tool for priming and a franklin hand tool for primer removal and by the time things start hurting - it's a great indication to me to put things down and step back for a spell so that I don't mindlessly make a mistake. Now take this with a grain of salt because my hand strength and endurance is far more than most because I also make chainmail. But to stop - get up - get a drink and coming back refocused, or even to come back and say enough for now - it's not a bad thing.

Here is another alternative for you to consider:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017749087?pid=978504

I have one and use it, very easy to set the primer just below flush, no measuring or putzing around. It can be a bit picky at times, the primers do/can jam up in the flat tray when installed in the tool. A gentle tap or 2 and the primer jam is cleared and primers flow into the feed slot again. The majority of the parts are plastic, and in turn the lower price.

I mounted mine to a piece of the freebie hardwood flooring samples you can get at the big box stores and use a C clamp to hold it on my reloading table. Works fine for my purposes.

I have been using an RCBS hand priming tool. After a while of priming a good amount of brass for me, the hand doesn't withstand so long before I have to stop and take a break before continuing again.

Like you I too once primed everything by hand. Age and carpal tunnel made so that I could only do maybe 100 rounds at a time. Few years back I bought the RCBS automatic bench primer and never looked back. Took a while to get the feel of when primers were set deep enough, but not unlike the learning process of their hand primers. With anything you have to develop a system/technique that works well for you, but I am quite happy with it. I use my hand primer tray to dump the primers out of their box and orientate them properly to load the primer tubes. One word of caution......because of the leverage, you can bend the rims of small cases like .380 if you are not careful. Those I usually still do on the hand primer.

I have gone through 3 hand priming tools and don't care for the bench press for such a delict job. I have been looking for a smart move in the priming department. $29 for the lee bench tool is as good as it gets. I all ready have a set of shell holders. No more BS with this and that feeder, lever or shell holder. The Lee bench priming tool is in my Wish List shopping cart.

RCBS ram priming tool

This tool here for me has been the best ever. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012930411?pid=416519 I have about 3 hand primers and a bench mount and of course the crappy one that came with my RCBS single stage, this thing is amazing, no effort hardly at all, you have infinite adjustments to put the primer exactly the depth you want or need, its not that expensive and my hands wont every ache again. One thing though, this is not for the handloader who wants to load hundreds or thousands of rounds a day, single stage press and slow, but works extremely well.

Thanks for the help guys and for the links. Don't get me wrong, the hand primer has definitely served its purpose, just looking for something easier.

Thanks for the heads up buck460XVR. Was going to ask how much force you apply, but only seems one can answer that when one uses the automatic bench primer. Is loading to tubes a hassle at times? As not everything goes 100% well, there must be some type of hiccup during the priming phase. Thanks.

Thanks for the heads up buck460XVR. Is loading to tubes a hassle at times?

As I said, I use the tray for my hand primer to get them turned over and then load the tubes directly from the tray sitting on the bench. Works very well for me. Once you get used to loading them it's not a big deal, Same goes for the priming tool itself. Once you develop a rhythm and technique it's pretty simple and pretty easy.

Biggest hassle I had with the RCBS bench primer was developing a rhythm, stoke once to load a primer, insert case, stroke a second time to seat it. Like Buck460 you can just use your hand primer tray to flip the primers or buy a flip tray. Takes me 5 minutes to load 100 into the tube maybe

and yes for me the hand primers irritate the arthritis in my left hand caused by years of doing mechanical work and lifting weights

I use the old Lee auto prime XR with the square primer tray but don't use just my hand to push primers in.
My reloading bench has a grove in it from something but the front top of the hand loader fits it perfectly. All I do is push with the heal of my hand instead of squeezing with my hand. You have to be careful not to crush the primer if it doesn't start like when you have a piece of brass you missed removing the crimp around the primer pocket.

Back