hand position on the l911

I don't know if it is proper or not, Jeff Cooper uses the high thumb hold, others don't. I have shot both with my thumb on the safety and below it, I tend to use the high thumb hold more, I guess.

As to the high thumb hold interfering with slide travel, I guess it would depend on a couple of things, like do you keep both thumbs resting one the thumb safety lever or how high the lever is on the safety. Several parts makers offer thumb safeties with thumb shields to prevent lateral pressure on the slide. And there is at least one parts maker that offers a low extended lever thumb safety, where the lever is low enough that your thumb would be in the same position as if you were not resting it on the lever with a standard thumb safety.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

For years I shot a 1911 with the target-shooter's stance, one-handed; my thumb was below the safety. Then, in 1980 I took a combat pistol/self defense course, coming out of a holster against the clock. Followed this by starting the IPSC club in Austintatious.

It became natural to leave the thumb on top of the safety. I built up a pretty good callous on the side of my thumb. But, I never pressed against the slide enough to interfere with its motion...I tend to press down on my right thumb with my left, which in a Weaver stance helps with recoil control. I have never noticed any problems, nor have I noticed others having any problem...

FWIW, Art

The logic behind riding your thimb on the safety is twofold:

1. Keep it simple- your thumb is already there, so why add a step to fumble in a high stress situation?

2. The thumb has swept upward accourding to reports, re-engaging the safety. Bad...

Personally, I do it because of #1. I have never witnessed #2, but have heard it passed around defensive circles for years.

Erik

Thumb on top of safety - definitely. It helps to control recoil by putting the hand more in line with the bore. The offhand thumb should be just below and pointing toward the target. Squeeze the palms together like a clam shell with no gap remaining between the palms or thumbs. Check out this months "American Handgunner" gunzine. There are a several good pictures on pages 39,40,46 and 77

I have seen lots of instances in competition where the thumb safety was knocked up during recoil by the competitor. It usually happens to new shooters who don't know how to grip 1911 pattern pistols correctly.

What is interesting is how so many TV movies involving a semiauto show the actor w/his thumb behind the slide, sometimes on the hammer! This is a common position when holding BGs at bay or getting ready to shoot. I don't think it matters to an actor whose slide might not recoil retract.
\
I'm told that the thumb safety engaging the slide is a common problem when someone brings their basic 1911 w/out ambidex safety to a match and has to shoot weak hand. The index finger easily engages it...FWIW.

robert

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

Back