Hand me down shotgun questions

Bobbob

Inactive
Hello, let me first say I am mostly a novice when it comes to firearms. I have been given a 12 gauge shotgun passed down from my grandpa. I have no ammo, and am a bit confused about what to get.

This is what the gun has stamped on it "12 gauge - 3 IN - modified". So I thought 3" shells is what I need, but what could the "modified" part mean? I guess it's a smaller brand, at least not one I've heard of, just says "Made in Brazil by CBC". But again, I'm a novice.

Also, I've been told 00 Buckshot is what I want for maximum power for home defense. Sound right?

Thanks!

While you're buying ammo, might as well buy a soft slip on recoil pad, 3" buckshot will be stiff on recoil.

3" 00 buck will be a great HD load for a modified choked gun.

Is this a single shot by chance that looks like this:

IMG_6556_Large.jpg

BTW....3in means that 3in hells are the longest shells to be used in the gun...you can use shorter shells [2 3/4in] .....which I would recommend because they have less recoil [kick],,.......by all means learn how to handle the gun safely b4 you go loading it up....

Thanks for the links G. Willikers, I'll check those out.

Cowboy, that does look like it. Looks like that version may have CBC with a circle around it stamped on it? Hard to see for sure. Mine does not have that. Also the barrel release (not sure if that's the proper name) in front of the trigger is more rounded off on mine. Slight differences I guess, so maybe just a slightly different model.

gunut, I've shot guns before, but never had any "proper" training. Since I can't shot this gun or my Keltec 9 here in town, I was going to go to my friend's house in the country to get some shots off one weekend. He's a gunut too ;)

Then grab yourself some nice light 2-3/4"target loads for your first few times to get used to shooting a shotgun - no reason at all to start off with 00 Buck

That makes sense BigDin. I'll get a bit of both and start easy to get a feel for it. Hopefully I can find the right ammo, my buddy says it's getting hard to with all the political talk going round.

Depends on where you are and what you're buying. I'm in Central PA and 12 gauge ammo is still fairly plentiful, at least in the lighter #7 and#8 loads. For home defense, if you can't find 00 buck, #4 will work well with less chance of over penetrating walls. I should clarify - #4 buckshot (though I wouldn't want to be in the way of ANY 12 gauge load at home defense ranges!) Have fun!

It's a CBC shotgun - a very inexpensive break-open imported from Brazil for some US chain stores, like K-Mart, S.S.Kresge, etc ( and maybe WalMart).

Back