Hand Gun Grip Help Needed

handletheze

Inactive
hello
I am new here and could not find a better place to ask my question and get some help hopefully. We sell a good bit of wooden exotic custom knife scales and were looking to expand a bit. So my question is could I get some suggestions on generally size grip blanks I could cut to offer grips to be made from, for pistols and revolvers? I would like to start stocking them in my store. Thank you
Gayla

Maybe I was not clear enough here on what I was asking. I want to offer book matching pieces of wood a customer could purchase and make it themselves.
such as I know a 911 grips has to be 3/8 thick 2 inches wide and 6 inches long....
Is there any other common grip sizes I could cut to off as grip blanks to make your own grips from...

Last edited:
The most common revolver sizes to offer:

S&W "J", "K", "L", and "N" frames.
The "K" and "L" use the same size grips.
You'd probably want to offer them in round and square butt type, and in the round-to square butt conversion design.
This will cover just about all S&W revolvers.

Ruger GP-100 and possibly the SP-101. You can offer the entire grip or just fancy wood panels for the stock rubber grips.

Colt "E&I frame, which will cover the Python, original Trooper and all other older type Colt medium frame guns.
I'm not sure you'd want to bother stocking Colt "D" frame grips for models like the Detective Special, but if you do, you'd probably want to restrict it to the later "D" frames that have the "stubby" grip frame as used on all "D" frames after 1966.

There are other revolvers, like Taurus and Dan Wesson but the S&W and Ruger will cover the most common guns without having to stock dozens of sizes for mostly obsolete models.

In autos:
The 1911 series.
Most newer autos are polymer and have no separate grips.

If you want to get a bit further into grips, and have appropriate equipment, you might consider one piece grips for the Colt percussion revolvers and the Single Action Army and their many clones. Those (done right) involve a solid piece of quality walnut with the milling for the grip straps almost completely finished. They are trickier to make but there are plenty of originals to copy and you can charge a lot more than for just two thin slabs of wood.

Jim

Back