Hand boned?

Blue Duck357

Can someone explain to me what "boning" a holster is, and the advantage of hand boning?

P.S. I know this question is somewhat loaded, lets stick to talking leather holsters though folks ;)

Regards, Blueduck

boning

The folks who do this use a tool called a bone folder or similar, a smooth, rounded tipped type tool. They were originally made from bone. The wet leather is, by hand and with the use of one of the boning tools of whatever shape is needed, pressed tightly over the various curves and shapes of the firearm or form used to simulate a firearm. This leaves you with a holster that has the outward appearance of many of the curves and lines of the firearm. Though originally done for fit, I suspect it is more for appearance now. Think of an old west style "pouch" type holster vs. a modern one by Galco or a handmaker that puts in the lines and curves on the outside of the holster. That will show you what boning is.
Done with my best efforts to keep it on the real subject. I am not a leather worker, but I think I'm right. Will stand by to be corrected by a real leather worker if needed.

Thanks 147, I know exactly what your talking about regarding shape. It's one of those terms I've seen for years but never bothered to find out what it meant.

Regards, Blueduck

Thanks

Thank you very much. One of these days I'm gonna learn enough to actually stitch on a piece of leather instead of just admiring other folks' work.

Jhp147, be aware (& beware) that the leather-working bug is almost as savage as the gun-acquiring bug. A few years ago, I bought a WW II knife with a poorly made replacement sheath, couldn't find anybody local to make a better one & decided to make it myself. By now I've made fur mittens & hats and possibles bags & enough general plunder to outfit a squad of mountain men.
It is fun thought, until you stab yourself in the thumb with a broken needle...:D

Jhp 147 wrote:
Though originally done for fit, I suspect it is more for appearance now.

There is still a very important reason for using a properly boned holster today that goes well beyond appearance. A properly boned holster will tightlyretain a handgun without the need for any retention straps, thumb breaks, or other do-dads that can slow a draw.

Of course, machine-made (pressure moulded) holsters can do the same thing, but in my experience hand boned hosters have superior fit to mass-produced leather holsters.

boning purpose

I understand what you said about adding to the retention of the weapon. I was sort of considering that as part of the overall "fit" rather than the hand boning. Your explanation is actually more complete and accurate. I was mostly considering the the really detailed type work, the cutting in of grooves that match slide grasping grooves, etc. In summary, any work done on the wet leather by hand and boning tool to shape and form the leather, for fit or cosmetics, is the WHOLE answer, and thanks.
And today, I found on E-bay, GOBS of leather tools, as mentioned by Ron Graham. I may have to get cracking on this.

WARNING!

Holster making can be addictive!!!

I make holsters for just about every gun I own.

My best effort is an Askins Avenger clone.

Would post pix, but don't have camera or holsters at work.

They're not as pretty as a commercially made one,
but they work as well.

Horsehide seems to be cheapest and most durable.

Steve.

Back