Hammer vs Hammerless Revolvers?

Jamie Young

I have been checking out a lot of snubbies for pocket carry. I really prefer a revolver with a hammer but I'm simply just not use to a hamerless gun. I liked a Ruger SP101 but I really don't know what the benefit of a hamerless revolver is?

Hammerless revolvers are less likely to snag on the draw, probably faster on the draw, but cant be fired SA, obviously.

You may want to get a shrouded hammer model. It is the best of both worlds.

Can you give me an example of one? I don't know of any? I'm new to revolvers if you can't tell. What about ported barrels on short barrels. Does it make a difference? Or is that something you only have on longer barreled revolvers.

My biggest snag concern would be on pocket carry. Imagine having a 2" wheelgun in the front pocket of your jeans and having to skin it. The hammer would most likely catch and you would barely get the grip exposed.

I'm firmly against porting on small, defensive handguns.

If you have to fire from a high retention position, and depending on the type & location of ports and how you hold the gun, you could end up with a face full of hot gas and particulates.

In the best case scenario, unpleasant, in the worst case, blinding.

Smith still makes their Bodyguard line , 638 & 242 , that is their shrouded hammer line up . Personally I like the hammerless or Centennial models [they still have a hammer it is just internal]. I dont like porting on on any guns but on the snubs I think it can be dangerous . Like Mike said if you fire the weapon close to or with the ports pointing toward a bodypart you could get burned or worse . I had a Weigand Streetfighter built on a S&W 640 and it was an eardrum buster because of the porting . I had a friend stand behind me and hold a piece of heavy paper about 24" over the ports in the barrel and when I fired the weapon it shredded the paper . I sometimes carry a 642 in my jeans front pocket in a pocket holster and have no trouble with it . Good luck , Mike...

There have been some related threads on this subject recently.

Here is my reply to one of them:

I like the S&W Bodyguard Airweight, Model 638, with the "humped back", shrouded hammer.

For me, it offers the best of both worlds....you can still cock the hammer, if required, for a longer range emergency shot.

Also, you can perform a cylinder rotation check....You may think that the cylinder will never bind, but it has happened to me. (The dirt, dust, and lint that will get into your gun in ankle carry makes binding all the more possible.)

The Model 638 has the snag-free qualities of the enclosed-hammer, Centenial series:

1) It will not hang-up on the draw due to your hammer catching on clothing.

2) It can be fired from inside, and through a jacket pocket or a woman's purse.

-Mk.IV

The threads can be found at:

http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.php?topic=362&forum=16&25

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=67691

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=66599

Also, from a legal stanpoint, a gun that can only be shot double action fairs better....they can't say you cocked a "hair trigger" like the js have....even if you didn't a good lawyer can make you out to be dirty harry....

After market hammer shrouds are availible.

I agree with the legal standpoint. With a hammer shroud, it is difficult to argue (as the civil suit lawyer will) that you accidentally cocked the hammer.

Also, if you are firing from inside a pocket, a bobbed hammer can still bind in clothing. You don't have to worry about this with a shrouded hammer.

I wish I could remember the pistol smith, or the distributor that carries his guns. He takes a Ruger SP101 and welds it on. He picks metals that match the Ruger's, and heat treats everything to original hardness. Then he gives it a radical meltdown treatment. Great looking gun, about $800 to $1000. The article was called "Cajun Meltdown" and was written by Massab Ayoob.

Another advantage to "hammerless" (full shrouded) revolvers is that they allow the highest possible grip. There's no need to worry about the web of the hand interfering with the hammer.

I have a bobbed model 60 but if i were buying new, i'd go for a hammerless 442, 642, 342 or 342pd...bodyguards are nice but i like the look of the hammerless over the shrouded, but that's just me...but if you like single action plinking....go for the shroud...when i want an accurate shot i half pull the trigger till the cylinder stops and then just a hair tug gives you an almost single action shot.....

I don't get the legal argument standpoint. If I shoot someone and it's unjustified I would want it to look like an accident so I wouldn't get a long prison sentence for felonious assault or worse if the prosecutor can prove it was intentional. I just don't understand this. If I shot someone unjustifiably I would desperatly want it to look like an accident even if it wasen't (I wouldn't be fond of being in prison full of large hairy men with tatoos and homosexual tendencies, I've never been in jail but I can imagine how horrible it would be). Can someone please explain this to me, and don't flame me too much if it's real obvious to everyone else. Thanks.

Hard to prove an accident if you cock a hair trigger on a guy...they would ask why you cocked it? They would ask aren't you strong enought to pull a 12 pound trigger..etc etc...better this never comes up since with no hammer it's not an issue.....also, double action only just creates a friendlier environment for you..many depts. gave up cocked and locked 1911's becuase the public found them offensive...stupid, i know but then again, you don't want Johnny Cochran saying you the poor misled youth was mercilessly gunned down by the...you get the picture....anythijg that makes the gun "safer" in the jury's eyes is good for you...so no notches on the grip or engraving "killer" on the frame....heck, get a ladysmith if you have real big balls....they can't say much about that..

BTW..we weren't talking unjustified....we were talking you are totally in the right but they are turning it around....unjustifed is unjustifed, cocked or not....

I like the Taurus 605 bobbed hammer,its lighter than my SP-101, and its great IWB, I would like to get a pair of
model 85 wood grips for it, the rubber ones are TOO long,

Another vote for a shrouded hammer, i.e. Bodyguard Airweight series.

I think the liability of the cocked hammer issue does not revolve around "proof". If a shooting is justifiable from a criminal standpoint (Self-defense), it is a tactic of desperation (on the part of opposing counsel) to say you didn't mean to pull the trigger, you had accidently fired your weapon after thumb-cocking it and recklessly creating a "hair trigger". Then it does not matter what the circumstances are leading up to the shooting, an accident is still an accident.

We've had this angle explored on the boards before. Some people buy it, some people don't. It has happened in courts of law, however, though I think the middle ground in this argument might be that the degree to which it occurs might be exaggerated.

Whatever. I play it safe, tactically and legally. The advantages enumerated by Mark IV Series 80 are "seconded" by me. Given the tactical versatility, there's nothing really to lose, and I accept any legal aftermath "bennies" it might also bestow.

My vote is for the smith 640-1 hammerless. Use with low end or mid-range .357 mags or better yet +P 38 special loads. Being hammerless, dirt stays out of the action and no concerns with snagging. The trigger can be staged and you can have almost as much control as a SA gun. I carry in pocket holsters.

Another advantage of the Centennials is the round butt. Much more concealable than the square butt put on a lot of hammer j frames.

I have a 940 that shoots 9mm with full moon clips. It's lighter than the 357 model 640, therefore it carries easier with about the same power.

I carry a 640 .357 mag on duty as a backup and love it. It is perfectly accurate out to the distances in which it is likely to be employed (about 3' :D), and is utterly simple. Manual of arms? Pull trigger, BANG. Repeat as needed.

I avoided the 'shrouded hammer' series as I saw a potential for dirt/lint/gunk getting into the action. Others have since stated that this isn't a concern, and I'll believe them.

I also do not anticipate the need to cock this last-ditch weapon, but your needs/expectation may be different.

Mike

Back