Hammer not staying cocked

Thedub808

Inactive
Hi guys. I just put in a lighter power hammer and rebound spring in a s&w model 60 and now the hammer wont stay back when I thumb it back. It worked before. It works fine double action. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It's hard to tell without looking at it. But, sometimes lighter weight springs are longer than the stock springs. Is your one of your new springs compressing and... (I think the term is "stacking up"?) and running out of room to compress any further?

Also, if anyone has filed an angle on the sear notch on the hammer or got silly with the trigger, there may not be enough pressure on the engagement to prevent the contact points from sliding off of each other.

There are only two possibilites. The new parts you put in won't allow it to work like it did before, or your reassembly isn't correct.

Put the original parts back in and see if it works. If it works, the problem is the new parts. If it doesn't, the problem is you are doing something wrong putting it together.

It's hard to tell without looking at it. But, sometimes lighter weight springs are longer than the stock springs. Is your one of your new springs compressing and... (I think the term is "stacking up"?) and running out of room to compress any further?

Also, if anyone has filed an angle on the sear notch on the hammer or got silly with the trigger, there may not be enough pressure on the engagement to prevent the contact points from sliding off of each other.
This was the problem. Hammer spring was too long preventing the hammer from locking. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thedub808, Was your spring kit from Wolff by chance? I'm curious who's kits are running ok these days. Wolff has always done a great job in the past for me.

Oh, and I'm glad you got the problem ID'd. That's like 3/4 of the headache, right?

And, Welcome aboard! Glad to have you amongst us. Stick around.

Back