Hammer bullets

ruger357w

I'm wondering if anyone has run the hammer bullets. And are they worth the money. I'm thinking about trying them in my 17-5.56 KAK ar. There's not really a lot of options for the 17 calibers. I'm currently running hornady 25gr v-max. I've also tried nosler 20gr hp but it does not like those. The nosler is way to short and has way to much bullet jump to lands. I'm looking for a bullet mostly for bobcats and coyotes.

Never tried them myself, but i have looked at them more than a few times, seem to perform well.

Looking around a bit, there are really not many options. Is there something wrong with the 25g v-max loads?

IMO not worth the money in smaller calibers, and a .17 calibers definitely fits that bill. You'll probably have some of the same issues of blow-up with Hammer bullets on bone. A lot of your damage is caused by the bone fragmenting as much as the bullet.

Your best bet would be to slow down your muzzle velocity and reduce the impact speeds. This would still be effective without damaging pelts as much. Easy fix with a bolt action rifle, not so much in an AR.

Back