Haenel-Schmeisser Model 1 (gun of the day)

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnwill

Here's a little cutie. Another of my "pocket" pistol collection.

67849_Haenel1Schmeisser_Model_1_510small3.jpg

Yep, it's .25ACP. It's the first pistol I ever had that you have to put the safety on to remove the magazine. You have to know that took me a few minutes to figure out! I have no idea why they thought that was a good idea, unless they were afraid you'd accidently drop the mag! Since it has the European style mag release, I can't imagine that happening by accident! :)

The old-established C.G. Haenel Waffen und Fahrradfabrik of Suhl dates back to 1840 and for much of the early life of the company it was a gunsmithing and metalworking business. The first contact wht handguns appears to have been as a contractor, making the Commission-designed Reichsrevolver (q.v.) in the early 1880's. Gunmakers V.Chr. Schilling and Spangenber & Sauer formed a co-operative venture with Haenel to produce the guns, which were stamped S&S Y.C.S.C.G.H. Suhl or later V.C.S.C.G.H. Suhl accordingly.

In 1921 Hugo Schmeisser, who had been working for theodor Bergmann, came to Haenel as chief engineer. He brough a 6.35mm blowback automatic pocket pistol design which he patented in 1920.

Production of this pistol began in 1922, continuing until 1930. A revised patter appeard in abut 1927, whereupon the original version became the Model 1 and the new model was the Model 2

HJN

Thanks for the AD, I'll save a copy with my paperwork for the pistol. Can't have too much neat stuff to go along with them. :)

"Put the safety on to remove the magazine"

I also have a Haenel Suhl Schmeisser, Model 1

The safe/fire indicator was confusing for me at first.
When the lever is "over" the F (fire) it is in the fire mode. The "S" is visable, but not in safety mode.

Stymie,

Welcome to TFL.

You did see that this thread is a decade old, correct?

Of the original participants in this thread, one is deceased and one hasn't been here in 7 years. I'm the only one still active.

This is what we call a zombie thread resurrection, and generally we don't do them here.

Feel free to start a new thread about your pistol, but I'm going to close this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back