Had your revo Metalifed?

VictorLouis

Or, any other hard-chrome treatment? Did you have action work done prior to the finishing that was adversely affected? Any regrets or peeves? Thanks.

Not a revolver, Vic, but I've got a 1911 with a Metaloy finish. Excellent! I recommend it without reservation. I prefer my S&W's with the original finish, usually blue. I've NEVER had a gun rust.

I've had a hard chrome finish on an older M24. While the work was excellent, the gun had to go back to S&W for re-timing afterward. I've handled and shot a M29 and a M25 which a friend had Metalifed, and they were virtually the same before and after. I am $126 more in favor of Metalife now than I was before :)

Vic:

Both were brushed satin. While the hard-chrome on mine was excellent in appearance, and performed "as expected" in all other respects, the difference in the thickness of the plating (and probably the age/usage of the gun) threw the timing out to the point that the cylinder was not locked when the hammer was drawn to full cock for SA fire.
The Metalife plating is extremely thin and uniform, and had no discernable effect on timing. The friend is a gun shop owner, S&W Armorer, and shooter with over 50 years experience, so I tend to listen to his opinions (especially since ignoring this one cost me big bucks :mad: )

Back