Had trouble with the irons on this 94

Bushmaster1313

1955 Winchester 94 in .30-30
My eye could not focus on the rear open sight
Lyman 66A receiver aperture sight is on order

DSC_1460_zpsqt7fv509.jpg

DSC_1461_zpsh6ckv61e.jpg

Like tangolima says, forget the rear sight. Factory sights usually are poor though.
However, are you asking with the gigantic picture's how the Lyman sight goes on? The receiver needs to be drilled and tapped on the left side. Assuming it's not already.

Beautiful rifle. If you eyes are like mine, the aperture sight will do wonders. I use a Williams on mine.

I have a difficult time with shallow notch rear sights -- wide V-notches on an otherwise flat-topped sight, in particular.

Peeps do wonders.

This custom Marlin "444" wasn't easy to shoot, nor was I very good with it, with the factory rear sight (what I consider to be the best one Marlin used, even).

But once I dropped some Skinner Winged Sights on it (rear peep), it became a whole 'nother machine. The difference between the factory sights and the Skinner sights is like the difference between irons and a scope.
Absolutely unbelievable.

(Still in work when the photo was taken - note the unfinished wood and droopy lever. I don't have a 'finished' photo with the rear sight installed.)

attachment.php

In some defense of the factory sights... That butt stock was shaped to my face, for alignment with the Skinners; and the original stock was too short and the comb too low for the factory sights. So, the Skinners did have a little bit of an unfair advantage.

Attachments

• IMG_20160108_021106956_720.jpg
    IMG_20160108_021106956_720.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 172
I too have the Williams "fool proof " aperture rear sight on my 94.I have a fiber optic front.I wear tri-focals and the sights are really an improvement. I like scopes , but I just can't bring myself to scope this one. Don't seem right.

I have a 94 Winchester from 1911 and one from around 1980. The difference in the drop of the two stocks is quite noticeable. I snap the 1911 rifle to my shoulder and the sights are perfectly aligned. Not so on the 1980 gun. I had to replace the rear sight with a Lyman Receiver sight. I also have another m94 from around 1951or 2. It too has the proper drop to allow the sights to line up as in the 1911 gun. Dunno when Big W made the change but I always figured it was when they made the changes to the post 64 models. FWIW, the change does make the post 64 guns feel like the kick less.
Paul B.

You can remove the rear sight and fill the notch with a plug to fulfill that job. Probably get one from Brownell's among other places but check with any local gunsmiths. They just might have one in their junk box. Might even do the switch for you.
Paul B.

Back