Had to have it - Winchester Model 1873

Danny Creasy

On a recent journey, I had the opportunity to purchase one of these Miroku beauties. I resisted. Passing by a couple of days later, I thought, Danny Boy, life is short. Why not enjoy such a rifle while your eyes can still focus on open buckhorn sights? The Winchester Model 1873 Short Rifle in .357/.38 came home with me.

IMG_2152_zpsvdllrfxz.jpg

IMG_2065_zpsajfljcoa.jpg

I benched it from 50 yards yesterday. I'm fine with an opensight 2" five shot group fired with bulk cast .38 Special hand loads at half a football field. I have fired about a hundred and fifty rounds through it up to this point. It has not malfunctioned with either .357 Magnum or .38 Special ammunition.

IMG_2181_zpsh5dc9ryw.jpg

IMG_2175_zpsfs3rjqpp.jpg

I'm glad I went with my gut on this one.

Last edited:
I got an 1873 44-40 made in 1884 last year from the great great grandson of the guy who used it in an Indian war.

That sounded historic. What was historic was the effort to load heeled bullets that fit in that chamber and shot accurately.

If you want to shoot groups, buy modern rifles with SAAMI chambers that use ammo assembled with less effort than putting a man on the moon.

I was in a similar position a couple years ago and had to have one of those beauties. Splurged and got one and have never been sorry. They are well built, smooth action, and damned nice looking. Love shooting mine and am impressed with how accurate it is.

Mine is the Sporter Case Hardened with the octagon barrel. It always turns heads when I take it to the range. I generally let those who admire it shoot a few rounds through it and everyone raves about how nice it shoots.

Congrats on you new purchase. You'll never be sorry and doubt you will ever get tired of shooting it.

Back