Ha ha... ha?

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
June 17, 2000

HARTFORD, CT - Steven Sliwa, President of Colt's Manufacturing, Inc., announced a major step forward in the evolution of Colt's "Smart Gun."

Sliwa revealed that the software for the Smart Gun will be developed by Microsoft (MSFT) and burned onto PROM chips, which will prevent the gun from being used by anyone other than the original purchaser.

"This is a tremendous step forward," Sliwa said. "With Microsoft software mated to Colt Hardware, the sky is literally the limit."

Microsoft CEO Bill Gates was enthusiastic about the project.

"The Smart Gun will incorporate Microsoft's well-deserved reputation for software quality and Colt's forward thinking in the firearms arena, resulting in a gun that parents can leave with their kids without worrying about their safety."

The Smart Gun software project is scheduled to begin in July 2000 and should be available to consumers in time for Christmas, according to Gates.
<hr>
December 15, 2000

REDMOND, WA - The Smart Gun project, representing an historic alliance between the software and firearms industries, has been delayed.

Originally scheduled for release this Christmas, Microsoft CEO Bill Gates called a press conference to discuss the delay.

"It seems that there are still some minor bugs in the code," Gates said. "Ordinary users wouldn't notice any problems, but some of our beta testers, while testing the guns under high-stress conditions, had the guns undergo what we call 'KBs.'"

Asked what KB stands for, Gates replied, "It's a technical term that really isn't worth going into here. Rest assured that the Smart Gun will be in consumers' hands within 6 months."

Meanwhile, Steven Sliwa of Colt's Manufacturing noted that the hardware required to make the Smart Gun a reality is ready and waiting for Microsoft's code.

"We're just hanging in there, waiting for Bill G.'s geniuses to deliver the goods. I'm confident that it'll be worth the wait."

However, prospective gun buyers are becoming irritated.

"I haven't been able to buy a gun since Clinton declared the moratorium [on firearms sales]," complained Joe Sixpack. "We're waiting for Microsoft and Colt to get it together, and until they do, no one can buy anything."

Sixpack was referring to the complete Federal ban on firearms sales, which was instituted by Executive Order on June 18, and which is to be rescinded when Colt's Smart Gun is approved by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms.
<hr>
April 15, 2001

HARTFORD, CT - Steven Sliwa of Colt's Manufacturing called a press conference today to announce the cancellation of the Smart Gun cooperative project.

"Microsoft did their best, but unfortunately, their final version of SG2000 wasn't quite up to the standards we at Colt's expect." Pressed for details, Sliwa admitted that 75% of the guns they had provided to Microsoft to facilitate development underwent "catastrophic integrity failure."

In other words, said Sliwa, "they blew up."

Neither Microsoft nor Colt's would reveal how many testers were injured during development.

President Bill Clinton hailed the announcement as good news.

"My decision to remove guns from the hands of all Americans pending development of the Smart Gun has proven correct. If Colt's and Microsoft can't make guns safe, no one can."

Clinton refused to comment on the skyrocketing rate of homicides with firearms, noting only that "the police are doing the best they can. After all, protection of the individual is their job."

------------------
"America is at that awkward stage.
It's too late to work within the system,
but too early to start shooting the bastards."
--Claire Wolfe

[This message has been edited by Coinneach (edited June 09, 1999).]

Yeah, if Microsoft made the software, we would all have to reset our guns at least three times a day! We'd get "General Fault #XXXX" errors, and it would take a gross amount hard-drive space that we'd have to carry on our hips!

smile.gif

------------------
John/az

"Just because something is popular, does not make it right."

www.countdown9199.com

John,

And we'd have to detail-strip and reassemble them when they get a GGF (General Gun Fault)...

------------------
--Claire Wolfe

"Yeah, Microsoft? I want the .40, but without Explorer..."

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Also, the software won't work properly because the hardware is not powerful enough to run the latest version of the MS SG2000 software. The SG2000 will also have extra levers and cutout holes on it for features which will be implemented on later upgrades by Microsoft.

Although there is a Linux version which allows the gun to go bang everytime you pull the trigger, installing it will void your MS and SG2000 warranty, as Firing Pin Activator 1.01a is an integral part of the MS OS and will be rendered useless by the installation of Linux.

OK, for K80Geoff...

If Apple designs the Smart Gun software, every once in a while, instead of going BANG, the guns goes eep, and a little flag with a sad face on it pops out.

You won't be able to diagnose the problem; you'll have to send the gun, ammo, and accessories in for repair.

And if you call Apple to get the specs, you'll be told "You don't need to know that."

------------------
--Claire Wolfe

One thing with the MAC systems...
You have to get the gun in DAY GLO GREEN...

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

No No, We are all screwed. The kids can hack the software before we can replace our hardware!
Why not clone my Dad, he's only 74, and send him in to teach "gun safety" IE "You don't mess with the guns and your butt is safe!"
Hank

Hankl, I see you went to that school also....

the first thing my father told me about firearms: Son, you ever touch one of my guns your a$$ is MINE !
wink.gif

------------------
Tiro per divertimento, tiro per la sopravvivenza

[This message has been edited by Bushwhacker (edited June 09, 1999).]

K80Geoff,
I miss Woz, and my 8K integer A//.
Danged Jobs was a one-shot marketer.
frown.gif

I still could do more real work, quicker (no graphics) on my souped up, "extended" A//e.

But, had to get on the internet and meet all YOU folks! Thank God!

Coinneach,

"...instead of going BANG, the guns goes eep, and a little flag with a sad face on it pops out."

All of my co-workers are now staring at me! LOL BIG time!!!!

Hmmm... Not bad... But I would take mine in Cobalt Blue... And Or Forrest Green...

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Back