H&R Young America Double Action disassembly

dlind

Inactive
It belonged to my grandfather but I think he must have found it in the woods or his pond because it is very rusted, and nearly all of the nickel plating is gone.

I can't remove the cylinder because the pin is frozen inside of it. The pin and cylinder rotate freely in the frame. The small lever below the pin (which I assume is a pin release lever) moves freely, but only about 1/16" and does not depress flush with the front of the frame.

I think the pin should come straight out with the lever depressed, but I wanted to check before trying to tap it out from the back.

Does anyone have any hints about removing this pin? (how the lever retains the pin, is there a bushing in the cylinder, etc.)

Is there a product of choice for freeing up rusty parts?

Thanks in advance!

The release has a little stud that fits into a groove cut in the center pin. When pushed in, it pivots and the stud comes down, freeing the pin. It sounds as if you are correct and the pin is rusted into the cylinder, a fairly common situation with those old guns due to corrosive primed ammo and black powder. Your method of removing the pin is fine but make sure you tie the release back so you don't destroy the stud. There is no cylinder bushing.

If the pin doesn't come free with a couple of taps (using a light hammer and a brass punch), soak the gun in a good penetrant, and keep trying.

Some folks like Break Free, I like G96 Gun Treatment, which comes in a spray can. There are other good penetrants, but avoid any with ammonia as it will harm what is left of the nickel finish.

Jim

Does Kroil have any ammonia or whatever? If not, I would soak it in Kroil for at least a week or two to loosen everything up. But if it is that far gone, it is just a paperweight anyway.

Thanks, guys. This is definitely a paperweight, as I wouldn't feel comfortable firing it no matter how well I can clean it up. I have never tried bluing anything and I figure this is a good candidate.

I have been using Naval Jelly to dissolve the rust, and then I will soak it well and use an arbor press to try to get the pin out.

I would like to take out the rivets that attach the trigger, guard, and cylinder release lever. Do you have any advice on what kind of stock to use to replace them or where to get peening tools for such small pins?

Thanks,
Dan

Oh yeah, there is (almost) no Nickel plating left, so I am not really worried about that. My plan is to get rid of the rust, sand out the pits as well as I can, preserving the markings, and try my hand at polishing and bluing.

gun

I would not attempt to dismantil.there are no rivits there are pins.it is a real pain to assemble.I grew up with those and take my word you dont want to take it apart.pull the pin and polish it and oil and put it together.I have an Iver Johnson and its the same a pita.
I think Jim will tell you the same.

Back