H&R UltraSlug Hunter Blueing

CedarGrove357

I've been presented with an UltraSlug Hunter 12 gauge which saw some excessive moisture. The barrel is lightly pitted and internals showed some fine rust as well as rust on the screws in the stock. I've disassembled the firearm and cleaned all of the rusted parts by boiling to stop the rust and re oiling them. The barrel I carded off much of the rust and rough areas after boiling it.

The receiver is another matter. It too has rusted and while I've stopped the rust, I am not sure what to do about the coating.

While I know the pitting is permanent damage, the customer would like a fresh
salt blue on the barrel and other components. The receiver seems to be a different tupe of black or blueing and I am curious what this would be.

I am leery of adding the receiver to the list, but I need to do something to stop the rusting a little more reliably.

Here is the gun now:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152451112@N06/shares/4Jza1q

Some H&R Frames were iron IIRC, but in doing some digging it looks like the Ultra Slug Hunter should have a heat-treated steel frame. This might be something to see if you can confirm with the company before doing anything to it.

Looking at the picture, it all looks pretty consistent to me. It all looks like a matte blasted and blued finish. Minor variances in the color may have to do with the specific metals used.

Maybe you could blast it and put a nice parkerize finish on it...be a flat color for deer hunting and such

Just a thought

Ocharry

Maybe you could blast it and put a nice parkerize finish on it...be a flat color for deer hunting and such

Just a thought

Ocharry
Good idea, and thats an option for sure. Admittedly i havent done much parkerizing and am leery of practicing on a customers gun without guidance. More of a self confidence issue there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you blast it and blue it and just leave it matte it will discolor because the Ultra Slug frame is cast iron. Parkerizing will be black no matter what.

I contacted the company and they claimed the company didnt parkerize any of their products, they were hot tank blued at the factory. The only note was whether it was a one piece or two piece receiver. Different metals were used between those two.

Back