H&R Ultra Slug

Canardman

I've got an H&R Ultra Slug 12ga with a Leupold Ultimate Slam scope. I'm shooting Hornady SST 300gr sabots. I recently put the scope on because the Simons on it was crap. When sighting it in I discovered that it was dead on @100 yds for 2-3 shots. After that, they were 6" high and slightly to the left. After b/s'ing for about 20 minutes, tried again and dead on for 2 shots and then back off target about 6".
Everything I read about this gun is positive. I really like it, and am willing to do some work to bring it in, but anyone have input an what's going on?

It could be heat, but probably not, although shotgun tubes are a lot thinner than they used to be. I barreled a few shotguns with rifled barrels when they were starting to get popular. The thing I noticed was the ammo could not keep up with the accuracy of the shotgun. Maybe the loads are a lot better now, but we got flyers in 5 -6 shot groups all the time.

The barrel is definitely hot after about three or four shots. I didn't consider the heat to be a factor because of the heavy barrel.
I put it in the smithy's shop to lighten the trigger. I should have it back in a week or two. I'll shoot, rest, shoot and see if it makes a difference.

That problem is more often heat than not. I have a rifle that does a similar thing. I tried glass bedding, pillar bedding, (done correctly), but it still does it. I surmise that there is some sort of metallurgical flaw in the barrel the distorts the effect of heat. Short of replacing the barrel, I just use it for hunting since the first few shots are dead on.

It's perfectly normal, not some defect. That's why varmint rifles have heavier barrels, to mitigate the effect of heat. When shooting 1,000 yards you wait a set interval between shots.

Back