H & R ultra slug gun 20 Or 12ga.

btmonnat

Inactive
Going to buy an H & R ,Ultra slug gun. Any experiance with range or accuracy between the 12 or 20 gauge with this gun? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

I was just exploring the same setup. I read a decent article by Randy Wakeman about 20 gauge sabot slugs. It convinced me to go with the 20 gauge. I found the regular HB H&R ultra slug to be too heavy so I'm holding out for the light ultra slug. Only one in my area for sale at the moment is the 12 gauge.

12ga or 20ga Ultra slug

I would be interested to know peoples' experience with these two... I would assume that 20ga slugs would suffice, especially if you cast & hand-load, and can make the slugs as heavy as desired.... have not bought either as yet....

These are both rifled barrels correct? If so you will have to send sabots down the pipe. Accurate but expensive ammo.

I have a 20ga Wingmaster slug gun and have found it to be very accurate to 100yds although you will loose some knock down power at the outer reaches. I have read testimony of 20ga sabot kills out past 150yds but cant speak first hand on it

Yes they are rifled barrels. I do not use a shotgun much for deer but for the price and accuracy these seem like a good buy. I have read a lot of good reviews on these. Just cannot decide 12 or 20 gauge.

The 20ga may actually be more accurate but i dont have any data to prove that. Sabot ammo is expensive. I use Hornady SST or Federal Fusion. Both work well with my gun. It likes the Remington offering too but they are the most expensive. Expect to pay $10-$20 for 5 shells.

Here is my slug gun, its a Wingmaster Express mag with Remington rifled/cantilevered barrel, Nikon Omega scope, Remington synthetic stocks. I have about $450 in the gun total.

IMG_20141126_233016_208-1.jpg

How recoil sensitive are you? Those single shot slug guns, espically in 12 gauge, are going to kick.

I am 6' and weight 190 and recoil has never bothered me because I shoot a lot. I am almost 60 years old that is making me lean more towards the 20 gauge. I have been a reloader since I was 18, so I am an accuracy freak.

If you are going to be trekking all over, lightness is a boon. Especially if you will only be taking few shot and in that case you might not care much for the fact that the lighter gun isn't going to absorb recoil as like a heavy one. 5-1/4# is light but if it is what you want . . .

I too am not too recoil sensitive.

When I lived in California, I would bird hunt in one area that had quite a few deer. I decided to try my luck there. The one drawback was that it was a shotgun only area. I looked at slug barrels for my shotgun, then I spotted an H&R slug gun. It was not only rifled, it cost less than an extra barrel.

I purchased boxes of several different slugs to do accuracy testing. I decided to leave it with iron sights since the area I was going to use it in was brushy. I went to the range and set up a target at fifty yards. I was going to start by shooting three rounds of the different projectiles.

The first trigger pull was brutal. A five and a half pound shotgun, firing slugs, from a bench, kicks hard. I owned a rifle in 338 Winchester Magnum at that time. It was a plinkers delight compared to the slug gun.

There are two models of the ultra slug gun. A Ultra Light at 5 1/2 pounds and the standard model that weighs in at 8-9 pounds.

The heavier gun should no kick that bad.

My 870 pictured above is heavy, probably 8 pounds so recoil is not bad. I only own 20ga shotguns so I cant speak for the recoil of a 12ga

20ga is plenty for deer even out to 200 yards if you can hit your mark.Your talking 250grains traveling 1800fps at the muzzle and over 1000fps at 200 yards.We like to zero at 150 yards puts me about 8.5in low at 200,around 3inch high at 100 and 2 or 2.5in high at 50.

Obviously your mileage may vary.

SARuger

Have you ever tried your 870, 20 ga. @ 100 yards to see what kind of accuracy you where getting with your setup?

Yes I have! Its sighted in at 100 and with Hornady SST I can keep a 1.5" group. When I shoot the Federal Fusion 3" Sabots It holds a 2.5" group and tends to shoot a little low right for some reason. I use the SST's to sight-in as thats what I have in the gun under m normal situations. If I'm in thick brush I keep the Fed's in the pipe/mag

The last time I was at the range there were 3 off duty police officers shooting some AR's at the 100yrd range and they were amazed at the accuracy of the slug gun. I cheated though, I was shooting off a Caldwell Lead Sled :D

Thanks for the quick response. I am going to take a look at the 870 in 20 gauge. Here I can have 1 for 50.00 more than an H & R slug gun and a quick follow up shot sometimes might be handy with the pump.

If you are going to scope it then get a cantilevered barrel. That is the only way to keep the scope "zeroed" on a pump gun as the barrel "floats". Saddle mounts will leave you wishing for a cantilever! Another plus to the cantilever barrel is you can switch back to a field barrel without loosing the zero on the scope. It keeps your 870 or 500 a versatile weapon. I have another 870 so I just leave mine set up for slug.

My Rem barrel came as a package deal with a cheap Simmons shotgun scope on it. I took it off and put it on one my .22LR's and bought the Omega. I'm a believer that a good scope can make a mediocre gun/shooter into a great gun/shooter.

+1 for the Hornady SST ammo in either ga, I got an additional cantilevered rifled barrel for my Mossberg 500 and it is a great combo. Mine is in 12ga and it does have a bit of a kick to it but not to bad. I believe you also you will have a better selection of ammo with a 12 VS a 20ga but if you find a setup in 20 you like then go with it. I dont think a deer is doing to notice a difference. It really comes down to accuracy and the distance you are looking to hunt.

Back