H&R Revolver

tacticalmedic

I just aquired this revolver from a friend. I believe it is a 32 short. The only numbers I can find on it are on the cylinder (398). On the top of the barrel it says:
Harrington & Richardson Arms Company
Worchester Mass. US Pat Oct 4,'87 Apr 2 '95 Apr 7 '96

It has a 3 inch barrel, top break, it is chrome, 5 shot, and it has black grips. I can email a picture of it if needed. I tried to upload one but it has to many megabites.

Probably an American with a nickel finish. Never mind, you said top break, so not an American

Probably is .32 short. Probably not worth alot unless excellent or dead mint condition. Most that I see are far below that. I think I read that the ones that are smokeless proofed have the caliber stamped on the barrel. I have a hammerless blued one like that that appears unfired but not perfect. Still is tight and I got some LRN ammo for it. Will get brave and test fire it one of these days. Neat little revolvers but collectors tend to go for trademarks like S&W and Colt on small old revolvers.

Being a 5-shot, all I can find for H&R is .38 S&W. The .32's are 6-shot. Could be a H&R automatic ejecting model, nickel finish, manfactured from 1891 through 1941 (Modern Gun Values, 11th ed.)
You didn't mention if it is hammerless. If it is, it is probably a model 40.
Either gun is valued at $100 or so for excellent rated revolvers.

Those guns were not bad when made, but over the years wear and breakage have reduced most to relics. Appearance aside, it is rare to find one that is tight, is in time and would actually function properly. Plus, of course, the .32 S&W Short (those guns were not made for the Long) is no powerhouse and few people would willingly choose one for defense. You will also find that the price of ammunition has gone sky high for cartridges that have limited sales. I recently saw .32 S&W Short for $32 a box, where it was $8 not that long ago.

I hope "acquired" didn't involve much money.

Jim

Being a 5-shot, all I can find for H&R is .38 S&W. The .32's are 6-shot.

The six shot revolvers were large frame in .32 and .38. Small frame were five shot in .32 and .38

Thanks for the info

I really apprecaite the replies. I think I found it in the Blue Book of Gun Values. It is a H&R Hammerless Small Frame 32 S&W 5 shot Nickel plated double action revolver. I got it at a VERY cheap price and it is in really ggod condition. Thanks again!!

My blued hammerless has some speckling and some scratches on the blue, but still does appear unfired and tight. So like I said, I will get brave and test out the thing. Saw the exact same gun test fired in a magazine article last year, I think. With a mint condx. gun. I have a box of Winchester LRN loads, 85 grain, and Remington 88 grain LRN. BTW the Rem. cost 17.95 at the time I got it in the last year or two at a hwdr store. Also have a box of Win .32 blanks I found at a gunshow. Very dinky low power round with MV like 600fps? Even outclassed by .32 ACP but could be a fun plinking round in a quality revolver.

ammo

I found some ammo at the Dayton Gun Show today but it was $26 a box. I might go back tomorrow and get some. The gun is very clean and locks up tight. I would have no problem firing it. If I fire it I will let everyone know how it was. Thanks for all of your help.

Back