H&R Home Defense Shotgun

Sheepfarmer

Inactive
Hey all, I'm a newbie.

The kids just bought me a new H&R Pardner Pump home defense shotgun for Christmas. My son put an nice LED light on it operated by a button near the trigger. He also changed the stock out for a pistolgrip/adjustable one with a built in shell holder. It looks really nice, shoots nice and doesn't kick bad at all. I guess that's because it is fairly heavy.

I already had 3 old MEC shotshell reloaders which I want to clean up and use. Is it economically feasible to re-load? I have a couple more questions but can't remember them right now. Thanks for letting me join. :)

This is one of the reloaders. It's pretty rusty so, I don't know if it's worth refurbishing. Something I could definitely do but...it would take some time.

75568_1121799567852842_4831066559181496662_n.jpg

It depends on how much you shoot whether or not it is worth the cost to reload. Some reload not just to save costs, but they enjoy reloading for its own sake. You might start by figuring the cost of getting those MECs into shape.

I have quite a few irons in the fire right now and even more on the back burner; I would enjoy getting them working again though.
Maybe I should save that one for retirement. :)

I would like to have a good supply of shells on hand though, just in case Obonkers or the next gun-grabbing regime decides to restrict or ban ammo.

Shotgun reloading makes the most sense for those folks who do the shotgun sports like trap, skeet and sporting clays.
Not only for saving money, but for making specialized ammo.

I shoot a lot of targets, and I reload a 3/4oz load for 12 and 20 (3/4 is the norm for 28 gauge). Soft shooting, 533 loads from a bag of expensive shot makes it worthwhile. Since I buy in bulk, my reloads cost me right at $3.60/box. It would be closer to $4 with a 1oz load, which is still about $2 less per box than the wally world really crappy promo stuff from Winchester.

Thanks. That's not too bad. I don't mind trying it. According to a MEC video, it's possible to load between 100 and 150 shells/hour. That's saving 8 to 12 bucks. Maybe when/if ammo gets scarce or impossible to get, it may be something to fall back on.

I just looked and I have one Model 9000 loader and 2 of the "Sizemasters".
The 9000 series one has a little hydraulic cylinder thingy, or maybe that's just an air cylinder. Anyway, it would be nice to automate it like this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFSQJiFFdsg

Last edited:
Uncle Joe won't let them take our shot shells away...
They may limit to two though.
You have to reload quite a bit to make up for the equipment costs of reloading. Whenever you can't find ammo the necessary reloading components are also gone.

The only shotgun component that has been difficult has been powder, but more and more is becoming readily available.

If it starts to come down to that, I'll break out the credit card when Cabela's is having a sake with free shipping and order a pallet of ammo.

Back