H&R Handi Rifle barrel shimming

TruthTellers

I picked up an H&R .308 break action rifle that came with a spare .223 barrel allegedly fitted to the receiver. The .308 barrel is a rock solid fit with no play, the .223 barrel has some play after putting the forend on and has a lot of play when the forend is off.

So, the fit isn't good and I'm not interested in returning the whole gun because the .308 fit is perfect. The only fix I can think of is to shim the mating surface(s) of the barrel and receiver with some steel or brass shimstock.

Thoughts and advice?

In the first place there is no returning the rifle for service as Remington quit making the Handi Rifle line a couple of years ago, no parts or service available. I suggest going to the graybeard site (go2gbo.com) in the Handi rifle section, you will find a ton of info on fitting barrels. Most anyone good with their hands can do it, but there is a right way and a wrong way. Luck with yours! GW

The best way to fit the loose barrel is to have the hook built up via TiG filler, and then knock it back and reshape it to fit. (A mill would be good, but careful hand-fitting works too.)

The "other" ways...
You'll see plenty of redneck stuff on the GBO forums. Beer can, security tag shims, copper shims, brass shims, JB weld, and even just paper. Attempt at your own risk.

I took another look at the .223 barrel and after I put the forend on and tightened the screw that locks the forend onto the barrel REALLY tight, there was no play that I could feel or hear, so maybe the forend helps stabilize the H&R break action rifles?

Before I just put the .223 barrel on without the forend and noticed all the play.

Even if there is play that I'm not detecting with the forend on, I don't care so long as it gives me a fairly accurate gun out to 200 or 300 yards. I'm just assuming that a wobbly fit will not aid in accuracy.

The fore-end holds the barrel on the rifle. That's as far as you should go in considering it part of the action.

Just because it's tight on the hinge pin, doesn't mean it's good.

Head space is what matters, and the fore-end screw isn't going to tighten that up.

There's no mention of the old barrel program on H&R's site and they do say they do not service discontinued and older models, but give 'em a call anyway.
1-866-776-9292

Back