H&R Buffalo Classic 45/70

Bailey71

Long story short. My wife’s aunt went through a divorce some 4 or 5 yrs ago. Unbeknownst to me she kept most of the rifles they owned in a locked closet at my mother in laws house. One day my wife’s aunt heard me talking about wanting a 45/70. She said “I have a 45/70”. I said whaaaaat?!!? She said yeah and told me where the rifles were. She said go look at em and you can hunt with em if you want. I opened the closet and my eyes went straight to the 45-70. I pulled it out and the dang thang was as long as a well rope. I think it’s a 32” or 34” barrel. It’s a Harrington & Richardson model 1871 Buffalo Classic single shot with a scope. So she doesn’t shoot and it has just been sitting there for four or five years. I asked her to sale it to me and she just says “Ohhh I don’t know...”. That’s just nuts if you ask me. I don’t know a lot about the Buffalo Classic. All I know is it’s dinged up a little bit with no rust and I want it. Do any of you know much about these particular rifles? The one I’m talking about was manufactured in Gardner Massachusetts

As I remember they came out in the 1980's period, was a inexpensive rifle for the single shot black power shoots, came with a peep sight set up, its a rather nice rifle

DocHoy I don’t have any pics of it. Next time I’m at my in-laws I’ll take a few and post. I see you’re in Florida. I live in Texas now but I’m from Florida myself. Fernandina Beach

Not that old as issued in plastic gun-case

As I remember they came out in the 1980's period, was a inexpensive rifle for the single shot black power shoots, came with a peep sight set up, its a rather nice rifle
I fairly sure that this is not the Buffalo Classic, the OP is refering to. This is an H&R 1871 and fairly current, 32" barrel. Came with a plastic factory case, manual. Mine came with Lyman globe front and tang peep sight. Cousin to the H&R, I believe it's called a "Handy-Rifle". It's a copy; not a replica. … :confused:
I'll go find a picture and post later …. :)

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...08043566436124858&selectedIndex=21&ajaxhist=0

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Yep Pahoo. That’s it exactly! So it is not a Buffalo Classic? Just from the small amount of googling I did I thought it was a BC. No matter as long as it shoots well and will kill hogs.

Verdict not in yet

So it is not a Buffalo Classic?
Not necessarily as it appears that there are a few generations of these. Regardless of how you do the sort, it is a "Buffalo-Classic. Mine had a Birch stock and others came with Walnut. Mine had beautiful case hardening but may be coated. I know there is an H&R forum and you might share this with then. Whenever you can, share some pictures with us. In the mean-time, enjoy what you have. thanks for the post. …… :)

Be Safe !!!

The one pictured looks like a Buffalo Classic to me, says so in the caption, too.

They were somewhat popular for CAS Single Shot side matches, being a lot cheaper than a Sharps.
The long heavy barrel makes it reasonably comfortable to shoot, the usual Handy Rifle is a kicker.

Back