H&R Breaktop?

StephenT

Hi all, I was looking for something different for my collection, and picked up an old H&R Breaktop in 38 S&W at the Austin gun show yesterday. I was wondering whether any of y'all have one of these and what your experiences have been. I've only tried mine briefly by the roadside, and it seems to work reliably. It's a double/single action revolver chambering 5 of the slightly less powerful (more expensive than 38 Special) 38 S&W rounds. The serial number is 15XXX, so I'm guessing it's a fairly early one, and they were made 1964-1984. Did H&R have a decent reputation while they were in business? I understand New England Firearms is the new firm now...

I've had an H&R Model 999, also a break-top, since about 1968. It is a nine-shot .22 rimfire. It's had a pile of rounds through it & works like a champ. I'd say that I was very happy with it. Enjoy your .38!

Actually, I just bought an H&R breaktop in 32 S&W. Auction Arms. Sort of accidental-like, to be honest. It was going for $37 and I bid $40 since I didn't think I'd win. Lo, I won. It hasn't come in yet, but I didn't realise how expensive the 32 S&W ammo is, so I might just try and sell it when I get it. Maybe. I have always wanted a breaktop; having this gun might cure me of that desire.

So, all of the questions StephenT asked sort of applies to me, now.

Plus: Where's the cheapest I could get 32 S&W ammo?
I don't intend to carry this, but if I wanted to, to what modern ammo is this caliber comparable?

These last two questions also for the 38 S&W, since I saw an old Webley Enfield in 38 S&W that I must,at some point have. Also, because it's more related to StephenT's original post.

Old_yout, good job on your latest acquisition. Pretty hard to go wrong for $40. People wait until the last second to place their bids in these auctions, but sometimes items go unnoticed. What condition did Auctionarms.com list for your H&R 32 breaktop? If it's in decent shape, definitely hold onto it for your collection. This "off the beaten track" ammo is expensive stuff, but I'm sure there are some cheaper sources online.

I don't know how old that H&R is, but the old ones were not exactly built for endurance, being made of iron, not steel, and very unreliable and inaccurate. If it is as late as you say, and is tight and works, it should be OK, though. They are expensive to shoot (as you found out) and even when they work are not powerful enough for any sort of defense gun. The same pretty much applies to both .32 and .38 caliber, though the latter is a bit better.

The Enfield revolver is a different horse. Even though it fires a relatively low power cartridge, it is well made and intended for rugged service.

Jim

He says it's in "Fine" condition and he's gotten a good number of positive feedback with no negatives, so we'll see how well it works out in a week, probably. "Gun functions fine." he says.
Here's a sort of large picture of it. It appears a little rough, but hey. $40, right?
acf594d.jpg

[Edited by old_yout on 03-22-2001 at 01:03 PM]

Back