H&R blackpowder rifle

rlgarman

I have a .45cal H&R rifle that I bought new about 30yrs ago. It is very accurate. I recently took it deer hunting and upon harvesting a deer with it, the nipple blew out and split in half. The threads in the S/Steel breech plug seem to have pulled out. What is the best fix for this? Does anyone know if I can get a new breech plug? Should I try to contact NEF to see if they have any left over inventory from H&R?

Buying a new breechplug would be the best thing to do.

Absent that, it can be welded (magnaflux it at your local auto shop and proof it afterwards), drilled and tapped again.

Alternatively, it could be drilled out and tapped for a slightly larger nipple, but from what you described, there may not be enough metal left in the plug to do this.

I'm curious as to why it blew out. Was there an extra heavy charge used, or was the thing rusted out, or smokeless powder used?

H&R muzzuleloader

Thanks for the reply 4v50. Purchasing a new breech plug is what I want to do, and redoing the old plug is the last resort. Yes, I was using 4gr. of smokeless(Titegroup) with 3, 30gr. Pyrodex pellets for a charge. I have found this to work great for instant ignition, no hanging delay at the hammer drop. I have done this many times, with no problems,but as I stated, the gun is 30yrs old, and the nipple (brass) threads were getting worn so I guess when it came out, it took the S/S threads with it.

Back