H&R 9 shot breaktop revolver questions

ELMOUSMC

a friend of mine gave me a H&R pistol a 9 shot break top that he got from a friend at work .The pistol is non operational it won't cock .after some minor disassembily I found that a spring on the shaft of a rod under the pistol grip was stretched and bent.I have no idea if that is the problem or not but I assume it is.
I also wonder if anyone knows if and where parts can be found.Also after checking several web sites and I have been unable to pin down the age of this pistol as the serial number has no letter prefix just the #1502 any help would be a great help

It just about has to be a .22.

Does it say anything like Sportsman, 949, or 999 on the barrel?

Is the barrel a plain round barrel?

Should be an easy fix

The barrel is slab sided and the word Sportsman is on the left side of the barrel
One of my shooting buddies owns one of these and they are a pretty neat pistol. Your first-pass on this, is to correct what you see. You can try Numrich of Wolf springs. On a couple of occasions, Wolf-Springs have been of great help, in specking out a replacement springs. ...... :)

Keep us posted and;
Be Safe!!!

It's an H&R Model 999. Somebody else made a clone too. Taurus, I think.
Gunparts has mainsprings if the thing has a plastic Head Assembly. More importantly they also have an exploded drawing.
Wolff Springs has kits but not specifically for the 999. Pricey kits at $65 or $100 for a big pile of assorted springs.

It was offered in 1932-1939 as the Sportsman. It wasn't called a 999 until 1940. No plastic in the 30's models. There were some changes made in the design over the years so newer parts may not work. I have one made in 35 or 36, can't remember exactly.

Mine was made in 1941 and says Sportsman rather than Model 999.

These will sell for $350 - $400 but I got this one for $150 due to finish issues. Still works great.

standard.jpg

Back