H&R .410 and Remington 1100

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I am looking at two shotguns at my local store. In a few paychecks, I will go visit them again...but I wish I knew what to look for as far as wear and tear.

H&R .410 break-top looks old (case-hardened reciever). How can I tell if it is in decent shape? No price tag on it, what would be reasonable for an 80% finish?

Remington 1100 is a rell-engraved pre-1994 item with a Hogue pistol grip stock, extended magazine, a feeding ramp under the mag follower and (!) a Williams rifle peep sight on the receiver! Front sight is bead, I could add a fiber optic. Any specific weak spots on the 1100? What extra parts shuld I keep on hand and where could I get them? Is $300 fair?

$300 for that 1100 is more than fair,Oleg. Unless there's a worm in that apple,I'd snap it up myself.

Over on the Shotgun Report, there's some stuff in the Archives on 1100s. Replacing a few small parts every 10,000 rounds keeps them perking along.The Technoid over on SR says they tend to break down after 35,000 rounds, but can be rebuilt easily.

35,000 rounds from a $300 gun? A bargain...

So, what kind of "worms" should I look for?

As for snapping it up...it is on lay-away from someone...and I am hoping they'll forget to pay in time.

Not much direct experience with 1100s but having some with older Remington autos, I'd get new ringsnsprings. I'd also take it down completely and clean it, relubing with Slip 2000, CLP or moly grease as needed.

Good luck on getting it, sounds like a bargain.

On that 410, new NEFs are only about $80 at the chain stores. Try offering $35.

Oleg, I liked the older style latch better, but both work.
As for quality, they were and are utility guns, durable but not designed for thousands of rounds...

To answer your question,IMO, yes...

Back