H&R .32..enough power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fender

Inactive
Howdy people:

I'm a newbee to the handgun scene. I have shot rifles and shotguns all of my life. I have recently aquired an H&R .32 revolver from my Dad, and bought the Ruger 50th anniversary MKII yesterday (love this gun!).

Anyway, my question is:
The .32 is a perfect size for CCW (legal here in La), but does it have enough power to stop a potential attacker with one or two rounds? Should I move up to a 9mm or larger? The .32 was free, and I just want to know if it's worth keeping as a CCW.

Thanks!

------------------
Lee Moreau
Baton Rouge, LA

[This message has been edited by Fender (edited October 07, 1999).]

Lee:

Just MHO, but the .32 is marginal for self defense. The muzzle energy is way down on the scale and I doubt that the round will penetrate deeply enough (in most cases) to stop a fight quickly.

That said, the first rule of a gunfight is to have a gun. If it's all you have (for now) practice a lot with it. It will most certainly kill someone, but again, you're looking for stopping power. That, I'm afraid, is one thing it doesn't have.

Recommend you look at a revolver in minimum of .38 Special or semi-auto in minimum of 9mm. If you're interested in a CCW, there are lots of good, reliable and compact versions to choose from.

Good luck and welcome to TFL!

Mike

No.

Perhaps you should consider a more modern gun, chambered for a more powerful cartridge. There are plenty available, from the 9x19, 40S&W, and 45ACP, to the .357 and .41 revolvers now being shipped.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

I'd also like to hunt deer with whatever I decided to pick up. Most of our shots in the woods are <75 yards...what would be a good solution here?

I notice you said it was an H&R .32. Is it by chance the H&R .32 MAGNUM? If it is, this gun would be adaquate for self defense. It is about equal to the .38 Special.
If its the older .32 S&W, I'd try to get something better. Like Mike pointed out, any gun is better than no gun.

It's the S&W Long model...feels like shooting firecrackers. Want something to knock down deer with also. My uncle hunts with a 44mag, and loves it, but that's a tad too big for what I want.

------------------
Lee Moreau
Baton Rouge, LA

Lee:

OK...if you want something you can shoot those Looosiana whitetails with, you need a MINIMUM of a .357 Magnum. In order to avoid velocity loss, stick with a 4" bbl length as nothing shorter will do. Also, keep your shots as close as possible...IMHO 50-75 yds is stretching it for a .357.

If you still want this weapon to do double duty as a CCW piece, a S&W K or L frame will do alright, but the L frame might be a little hard to conceal, unless you're a fairly large man. A Mod 66 or 19 would be the hot ticket.

For my money, if you want a handgun that will be good for hunting AND CCW, then a revolver is the way to go.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back