H&R 2ND model auto ejection 5TH var.

terlou

Hi
My H&R (as per post title) has a problem with cylinder retention. The cylinder on my revolver does not lock into any position. The cylinder can be spun forward or backward with no resistance during handling. If the hammer is cocked in single action mode, the cylinder will align the chamber for firing. When the trigger is then pulled the cylinder will lock into place for firing. After the trigger is released, the cylinder will again rotate forward or backward with no resistance thus causing misalignment for the next round to be fired. In double action mode the cylinder advances properly to each chamber but when the trigger is released the cylinder is free to rotate forward or backward with no resistance. You never know if you are landing on a fired or unfired round.

Any help to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated. A schematic would also be great if anyone can download one.

THANKS!!!!!
TERRELL

The cylinders for the top break H&R revolvers freely rotate clockwise, but the hand is supposed to stop them from going counterclockwise. There should be some resistance so as to keep the cylinder from rotating willy nilly unless it's being done on purpose.

I think this is part of the design.

Is this H&R of yours new to you or have you had it a while and this issue developed over time?

I've had the gun for awhile and am unfamiliar with the way these older guns are supposed to work. Probably just a lack of knowledge on my part. Is this gun supposed to have cylinder rotation when unloaded? I notice that when loaded there is no cylinder rotation and if rotated properly when loaded the hand will position itself between cartridges and keep the cylinder from rotating. Is this the way the gun is designed to operate? Perhaps everything is O.K. with the gun, just my ignorance as to the way it is designed to work. Also, is it O.K. to shoot smokeless ammunition is this revolver?

Thanks for the rapid, helpful response.

TERRELL

I suggest you take it out and shoot it. I bought an H&R top break a few months ago and was concerned the chambers weren't fully aligned with the barrel and it was going to spit lead, but it didn't.

Just make sure that your H&R is okay to shoot smokeless before you take it out shooting.

Terlou, have you actually fired the gun, or only dry fired it? Many of those guns work just fine when actually fired, since the hammer nose remains buried in the primer after firing, preventing cylinder rotation.

Jim

Thanks Jim, mine is probably working as per design. When loaded the rotation problem is gone. It seems that the hand is partially out preventing cylinder rotation in the counterclockwise direction when loaded.

Back