H&R 22 special

Barney

Inactive
My cousin has an H&R 22 special 9 shot serial #547*** with saw handle grip and flat back end on cylinder, I believe a second model. The ejector is missing. The spring and front rod are there. I have a H&R 22 special with a recessed end on cylinder and one piece grip. serial #578***. third or fourth model I think. My ejector will fit in his cylinder but the threads seem to be a different pitch than his front rod. He had tried to find one from the big retailers but no luck. Would anyone know of a shop or individual who might have an ejector for his revolver. If so please call or email 937-658-3173 or othl44@yahoo.com. thx

I’m very familiar with that revolver! My dad gave his to me when I was 16 with it’s full flap holster. it was my first handgun. Between plinking, shooting wildly at rabbits and feeding it CB Caps as often as I could, it soon wore out. I bought another many years later as a gift for my dad. He said “Golly, what am I gonna do with this? I hated it so much I let you have the first one back when you were a kid!” It turns out that what was special to me was the junk he wanted to get rid of!

Without a locking bolt, it just sort of lined up by “make sure the cylinder has rotated all the way before shooting.”

I see someone is selling a .22 Special parted out, current bid $56. on Gunbroker.com

Myself, I would put the money towards a Ruger Wrangler and have something safe to shoot.

My dad told me that his dad got the .H&R 22 Special From Cooper the Trooper, the Pennsylvania State Patrol bought a large order for the men to maintain proficiency without using expensive .38 Special ammunition.

I could be wrong but the H&R 22specials I owned fired 22WRF which in Remington speak was 22 special. 22rf would be iffy at best depending on length of firing pin. The common H&Rs were for 22rf. My dad hated them also. He always said H&Rs should come with a broken blade pen knife in the box.

To make it confusing, H&R made a target style break top revolver named the “22 Special” that was chambered for regular ol .22 Long Rifle. It’s a rather good looking design although it’s functionality is impaired by soft metal and the wobblyness of being a break top.

Back