H&R 1871 Buffalo Hunter Classic

Eghad

A friend needed help installing and zeroing a H&R .243 he bought for his son to go hunting with. So I agreed to help him out and dragged my H&R 1871Buffalo Hunter Classic along with some Black Hills 405 grain factory loads. This would be my first time to fire it.

I had taken the Williams peep sight off the rear and installed a Smith Enterprises Harrington & Richardson ladder style sight on the rear so I could use it for some CAS side matches one day.

The sights were perfect with the factory sight and a post sight insert that came with the lyman front sight from the factory. The windage was a tad to the left so I am going to run the target and the gun to the local gunsmith who has a knack for hitting the right amount of tap when adjusting dovetailed sights.

I must say shooting that thing in 45-70 was almost a spirtual experience. The big boom and then the thump and dustcloud from the berm. Then opening the breech and having that big shell eject out along with some smoke. I even thought of going hunting with that rifle and some black powder cartridges. I have shot some high tech firearms but for some reason this lo tech firearm plucked a resounding chord in me.

Eghad, I'm glad that you found the proper ladder sights that you were searching for a while ago and enjoyed shooting your "Buffalo Gun".
Just how much does that model weigh? :D
I have since found the sight calculation formula that can be used to calculate how much a sight needs to be drifted to change the bullet impact at 100 yards.

Sight Calculator
A= The range in inches divided by the distance between the sights
in inches.
B = the amount you want to move the point of impact.
C= the amount you must raise or lower the front or rear sight.

You want to move the point of impact 6" at 100 yds that's
100 yds = 3600" , divided by a 36" sight radius = 100 that's [A]
6" divided by 100 = .06 that's .06 is [C]
B divided by A = C

Yes ,, VERY,VERY ADDICTING ,,
I also shoot BP out of mine. I load my own cartridge's and cast my bullets for it..

here is my setup:

431619.JPG

Sundance44s

Bought an H&R buffalo Classic in 45/70 last winter ..had a few problems makeing the right B/P loads for it .. finally bought a mold from lee and cast my own bullets ..hollow base .405 gr. ....459 dia .. bullets are more like the originals and shoot great in it with B/P . Plenty of deep groves for lube with these bullets too . Can`t wait to try`em out on a white tail this year .

Sight Calculator
A= The range in inches divided by the distance between the sights
in inches.
B = the amount you want to move the point of impact.
C= the amount you must raise or lower the front or rear sight.

You want to move the point of impact 6" at 100 yds that's
100 yds = 3600" , divided by a 36" sight radius = 100 that's [A]
6" divided by 100 = .06 that's .06 is [C]
B divided by A = C

for $5.00 I let the gunsmith figure it out.....lol

Back