H-LongShot for 223 sub-sonic

georgehwbush

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

i would like ot load a few subsonic 223 with 77gr SMK bullets using the only pistol powder i have on hand Hodgdon LongShot, but no load data anywhere that i can find,

i am a handloader and understand the risks/do's and donts so all i am asking for is a starting point if anyone can answer about how much H-LS would produce around 1k ft/s from a 16" 1:7 pipe ?

Longshot may be too dense and too high-energy for the task. Load ratio is too low (<20%). Bullet is too light for subsonic too.

I would suggest go up to 90gr bullet and use IMR trailboss. For proper cycling, consider pistol length gas. With that, I have a few loads that you can try.

Bullet stabilization is iffy though, even with fast 1:7 twist.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

i don't have trailboss and it's not available locally. so if that's too dense it will have to wait. and i expect it to not cycle. that's a given.

tangolima; first thing i said is " i have this powder and these bullets, i would like to load afew subs if that can be done " not looking for optimal.

hmmm so less than 20% ok i fill a case and device by 5 and try one, thanks.

I wouldn't recommend going with such low load ratio. Issues ranging from unreliable ignition to the dreaded REST detonation are possible.

-TL

hodgdon published load data for a 223rem subsonic with 55gr FMJ pills using both Tight-Group and Clays at 3.1 and 3.2 grains respectively. so i don't see where trying Long-Shot will hurt anything, but i do understand that testing anything that is not published is a gamble. i know that.

maybe i should compare something that uses both h-tg and h-ls or clays and see how they compare in a different cartridge? that's why i asked if anyone had a starting point.

by making comparison that way it looks like it will take about 1/3 more long shot than it would clays or tight-group... so near 5grs ?

Last edited:
In QuickLOAD's database, Clays has 2.1 times greater bulk than Longshot, so about 7 grains of water capacity at 3.1 grains, and with a 50-grain bullet seated 0.224 into the case mouth, will have about 25% loading density. QuickLOAD shows it to be slightly supersonic at 1329 fps, but this is without a bore friction allowance, so Hodgdon's measured results will be more reliable. Peak pressure is at around 1200 psi. Longshot needs 4.3 grains to match velocity, but because it is a slower powder, that much gas reaches a peak of only 8,000 psi and 16.6% loading density. That pressure is low enough to present the possibilities of poor ignition regularity and, in the worst case, a bullet stuck in the tube. GRT says the Longshot calculation is invalid at any start pressure because the charge is too low so that low peak pressure is likely the culprit.

The Danish Gunwriter's site has a description of a .308 Winchester disassembled by 3.1 grains of N320 powder (12% case fill). It is hazardous to go too far with charge reduction. Dr. Lloyd Brownell's studies showed the most erratic pressures at around 30% loading density for rifle powders, but pistol powders seem to have trouble at even smaller case fill levels.

Please be sure to add the required warning when discussing off-book loads. I have added it for you in this instance.

Tried sending you PM, but was told you have turned PM off. Please PM me instead. Thanks.

-TL

Not that. I have some load data for you to try, but I don't want to put it in the open.

-TL

Back