H&K4 Pistol

Oldspeed

Ran across an H&K 4 pistol. It has three barrels 22LR -.32ACP - .380 each with their own magazine and recoil springs. Looks like a nice well made little pistols and might be fun to play with the various calibers. Would like to know more about these guns and their history?

That's a popular European thing. The H&K people came from Mauser ,after the war.Mauser had their HSc and the HK4 was basically a copy of that pistol .The Mauser was reintroduced in the 1970s for a while .When that was discontinued the HK4 was introduced.

Last edited:
FWIW, the "4" in "H&K-4" means it was issued with FOUR different barrels, etc - .22LR, .25ACP, .32ACP, & .380.

IIRC, H&K introduced them in the late 70's, and they were discontinued here by 1984.

They came with a combination cleaning rod and tool that can be used to turn the recoil plate around for use with the .22 rimfire. The whole thing makes a neat package - the gun with one barrel and magazine is in one box, the other barrels and magazines are in another box.

Jim

Harrington & Richardson was the exclusive importer in the mid '60s and early '70s. They were also offered as a stand alone .380/9mmK and as a dual set, .380 and .22. There was also a 100 Year Commemorative issue (100 years of H&R) released in 1971 - had a gold presentation plate on the left side of receiver and some gold filling in stampings. Here's a couple pics of mine - missing the combo tool - but the bolt face can be turned using a small screw driver - also included was a separate .22 extractor for the rim fire cart. I've not fired mine, it is unfired from factory - proof targets were included and numbered to the barrels. I've included a pic of one of the targets - note the date of test fire.
IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

p.s. the '4' was the H&K model number - it had nothing to do with the number of barrels supplied - the single and dual sets were also the Model 4.

Last edited:
The one thing you will want to check is the condition of the recoil buffer. It is a small nylon insert that cushions the blow of the recoiling slide against the frame. They tend to break down after time and need replacement. Numrich used to have them, but I am not sure if they are still available now.

The other thing to look for is a cracked or chipped feed ramp.

Edit: I just checked their website and they are still available:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=75210&catid=8908

Back