H&K UTL (universal tactial light) for USP

thequickad

I am thinking of buying the UTL. Since I recent read most shooting occurs under low-light conditions, and you need "white light" to positively identify your target. The UTL is a perfect accessory for the USP. But at $200, I would like to know if anyone has any experience with the UTL and if the other clip-on flash lights are just as good? Also, does the UTL help reduce recoil by acting like "muzzle weight"? :)

My bedside companion for several years has been my HK USP 45 with UTL attached.... I LOVE my UTL!The $200 is worth every cent.

It's extremely bright, very easy to work with your middle finger, and is on and off in no time. It weighs NOTHING, so it does nothing for recoil. I am not aware of ANY other clip on flashlights for the HK, except the Surefire, which is even MORE expensive.

I have seen the UTL on sale before for around $185, but you have to just shop around. I paid $179 at the local gunshop for mine, but I think that was pretty much a favor.

Now, you don't have to have a pistol mounted flashlight. You can get a Streamlight Scorpion for around $30 or so, and you can see just as well. It's a matter of preference. I just like having one hand free, and never having to find 2 things in the dark...

It is pretty sturdy as well. I took a plunge into a mountain stream once while wearing my USP. The light was totaly submerged and came out working without skipping a beat. Wish I could have said the same for the gun (in the fall the magazine release cracked in half).

I'll second everything Onslaught said.

If you camp, it's especially handy to attach the pistol w/light on a lanyard and keep it in your sleeping bag....no Blair Witch worries in my tent.
Good Shooting, CoyDog

Just a thought in defense of a separate flashlight.

You have to point your gun at the potential target in order to illuminate it. Think it through. If you have kids or teenagers coming and going at all hours it may not be the best choice.

I don't have people coming and going and I still chose a separate flashlight. My thinking was that with adrenaline pumping an AD is entirely possible. What if I illuminate the hall, AD and the bullet goes through into one of my kids rooms? A long shot scenario but I'll go with the separate flashlight.

Hi,

I have a UTL that I bought for my HK Tactical and I couldnt imagine having this as a home defense gun without it. I also have the screw on muzzle brake for this rig as well. These 2 accesories not only add to the functionality of the Tactical but also make it one scary looking .45!! If I was a bad guy I would not want to be at the business end of this thing. It looks like the guns the Stormtroopers used in Star Wars! It works great and does act as a counterweight for the front end. Just keep a spare set of lithium batteries handy since they only last for an hour.

You can get them on the internet for about $200.00 or less.

Cheers,
Paul

Jim has a point, and there will never be an "answer" as to which is better. But since I like them, I want to share why my decisions were reached, using some of the arguements against. Bear in mind, I'm only sharing, NOT condemning ;)

"A flashlight on your gun makes you a target"
A FLASHLIGHT makes you a target, period. If you use any flashlight to randomly SEARCH your home, you WILL be seen before you see the perp. Don't use your light except to IDENTIFY the LOCATED target.

"I hold my gun away from my body to avoid being shot"
Any perp who's EVER been to jail knows to shoot to the low LEFT of the flashlight. It's kindof a coin-toss. The perp may shoot AT the light, he may shoot to the left of the light, depending on his/her experience level. If my flashlight is ON the gun and the perp is experienced, I'm the recipient of unaimed fire to my right. If not experienced, then I'm the recipient of unaimed fire directly at the light. 50/50 chance.

"You are pointing your gun at the target"
The best of all arguements. The only answer I have is to FOLLOW RULE #1!! Never point the gun/flashlight until you have FOUND the target, and believe it to be an intruder. OF COURSE, keep your finger OFF the trigger until the intruder is identified as a NON family member. That will prevent AD's and disaster.

If the threat is REAL, and I have a seperate flashlight, my gun is at low ready, and I'm one handed, with the light in the other. I have to bring to bear, aim (to some extent, depending on your personal method) and fire. Since BG's do NOT practice safe handgunning, their gun is close to the chest, pointed straight out from their body. They do NOT have to raise the weapon, and they will NOT aim AT ALL before they open fire. Sure, the chance of them hitting you is less, but the chance of hitting a family member in another room?
If I have a flashlight on my firearm, I have found the threat, cannot readily identify the person, so I point my firearm at the potential threat, finger OUTSIDE the trigger guard, and illuminate. If it turns out NOT to be a threat, then I go to low ready immediately, and find out why my brother-in-law is creeping through my house at 3:am!!!
If it is a BG, then all I have to do is move my finger to the trigger and fire! I've had several seconds to "AIM" and I am already in a good solid 2 handed firing stance.

Again, that's just my opinion, and I'm NOT saying I'm right and someone else is wrong. I'm just sharing MY logic on why I chose to have a flashlight mounted on my house-gun.

Whatever you decide... PRACTICE, and be safe! :D

Back