H&K USP Compact .40

BobRowe

I am contemplating the purchase of a USP Compact in .40 S&W. I've decided I need a TDA-type pistol, relatively small but not miniature, for use in non-holster situations. After checking out a bunch, I've decided on the USP Compact. I have small hands (despite 6' 250 lbs), and most TDA's have too long of a trigger reach for the first DA shot. The USP Compact doesn't -- it fits me like a glove. Also, I like the feature of being able to carry it cocked-and-locked or decocked.

However, I haven't shot one yet. I understand that they are very reliable and reasonably accurate. Does anyone here on the forum have any actual experience with the USP Compact in either 9mm or .40? Thanks.

I would agree with your assessment of the DA reach. I have small hands with short, stubby fingers, and my USP Compact fits me very well. My complaint has to do with recoil. I find that, at least for me, the recoil is much "sharper" with the USP versus a Glock 22 and Sig P229 using the same loads. For me, the USP Compact is the hardest to control and get back on target for my second shot. This obviously might not be of concern to you.

I agree with Fred. I've shot the SIG 229 and the USPC .40 side by side. I would definitely choose the SIG 229 over the HK.

I also feel that the muzzle lift of the hk uspc is an issue. It fits my hand, and has been 100% reliable, but it has a high bore axis. Have you considered the steyr m40? Much more controllable recoil. Same trigger pull each time.

Dave

Both the Sig 229 and the Glock 22 are larger than the USP40C which is more concealable. A fairer comparison is the USP40C to the Glock 23. I had both and eventually sold the G23. The USP40C is heavier and for me handled the recoil better. You can improve the handling of the USP under recoil by putting a Hogue finger groove grip on it. This made the USP40C much more controllable with a slight loss of concealability. I use the 40C in IDPA.

While others shoot almost as well, I chose the USP 40c about a year and a half ago. It has never failed me. No stops, misfeeds, or malfunctions whatsoever. It takes all FMJ to SHP. I also put a Hogue grip on, which only improved the good feel it already had. It's perfect for concealment purposes. You simply can't go wrong in purchasing this particular weapon.

Semper Fi-
JJC

I own a USP45 full size, and was contemplating a compact. I went to a local range, and rented both the .40C and .45C. The .40C is a little snappy, but it FEELS good in the hand. The .45 had less recoil, and consequently, was a little more accurate for me.

Ultimately, I opted not to get either, and now I'm looking at the Walther P99 .40 and Glock 23, but that's just me.

I know I haven't helped a bit, but what I'm saying is... try 'em if at all possible. Then you'll know for sure! HK's are GREAT guns!

Thanks to all who provided me with information. I purchased the HK USP 40 Compact this morning. I really like it so far. My holster should arrive in about a week. It will also be about a week before I have the time to get to the range. Thanks again.

Congrats on the purchase. IMO the USP compact is a great platform for the .40 and HK makes great firearms.

BobRowe,

I have nothing bad to say about the USP-C but if you have small hands like I do a SIG P239 is the way to go. Measurably more compact than the USP-C the P239 has an excellent trigger reach and a very smooth trigger stroke. If it's still too long you can purchase an even shorter reach trigger straight from SIG Arms. Not that it's a major issue, but the P-239's barrel is a trifle longer and can be switched out with a .357 SIG barrel for even greater muzzle energy. Plus, the SIGs are usually more accurate than the USPs. Mine (in 9mm) will do an inch and a half at 25m.

SS

This keeps cropping up but....

the Sig P239 is actually BIGGER than the USPc9/40, I don't have the measurements to hand but they have been posted here several times.

It never ceases to surprise me because the P239 looks SO much thinner, but isn't.

Mike H

If you like the HK USP compact, try the Walther P99 QA version. It is about the same size, same feel, has a decocking button, and the same ambidextrious magazine release. The QA version is like a glock trigger, same pull whether first or second shot, 6.5 lbs, 1/4" travel. It comes with three grip sizes and three front sites to choose from. It has a round-in-chamber indicator. Do a search here for more info on the P99 QA. I have the .40 version. Am thinking of adding a 9mm to keep it company.

If HK would release their LEM trigger to the public, I imagine it would be about the same as the QA or glock trigger (but oh no...mere civilians are not good enough to have it). Instead you have to mess with the DA/SA. Some like it, I don't.

I have gone back to carrying an HK after a whole bunch of Sigs Glocks Kimbers and even a custom Colt..All fine firearms..but there is something about the HKs..that make me feel completely at ease with the fact that the gun will go bang evertime..I have about 500 hundred rounds out of my New 45c and no problems regardless of what kind of factory or sloopy reloads FMJ no lead..that are put into it. The last HK I had befor I traded it had over 3000 rounds without a single FTF.

The mags on these guns impress me to no end the bullet is firmly held into exact postion..The guns shoots into 2" at twenty five..that is as good as you need for carry...1" groups do not impress me..going bang evertime does.

Gary

I have had my H&K 40 Compact for about two years and it is a very reliable and accurate pistol. I also added the Hogue grip and I had the slide hard chromed. Its a keeper......

i have had my HK USPc .40 for about 1year now, and it is the best compact gun i've fired. it eats anything, and i feel very confident when i have it on me (which is all the time.) i like all the guns that have been mentioned in this thread, but my HK is my favorite. i shoot 2" or less groups at 25 yards, and if that isn't good enough to handle the job, then i must be shooting at an extremely thin target. hehe. 1" groups aren't impressive. 2" is impressive when every single bullet is fired flawlessly. hats off to HK...they built a superb handgun.

Back