H&K USP 40 Compact Ammo

Hank Smith

Hello all, yet again. I should be picking up my H&K USP 40 Compact this coming Wednesday, can't wait. My question now is ammunition. Can anyone recommend a "medium" quality, target practice only ammo. I also need a "high" quality, hollow point ammo manufacturer, only for home defense. If anyone has any related websites that would be very helpful. Thank you so much.

Hank

I use 155gr PMC for practice ammo, basically because it is plentiful here in Phoenix. As far as a good HP, I definately prefer the 155/165gr Speer Gold Dots. When you let one of these off, you KNOW you are shooting a good round.

BTW, you may want to check in the .40 Club over at glocktalk.com. Yes, I know you have an HK (congrats and good choice, btw) but there are several threads re: the types of .40 ammo that people prefer to use.

I prefer 165 gr Federal Hydrashoks (although there are plenty of people who prefer 180 gr bullets). In terms of cheap practice ammo, my H&K USP40c will shoot everything, so I usually pickup whatever is on sale. I would stay away from American ammo (not Federal American Ammo), and some people think CCI Blazers are too dirty - although I have never had any problems with it. I have put almost 1,000 rounds through my USP without a single FTF.

When I order online, I buy from http://www.ammoman.com (quick, cheap, and shipping included). Have fun!

I have a USP40 full size and I use Hydrashok 180gr.
For targets I used many different factory reloads and I have never had a problem.

When I can find a good deal, I buy Federal American Eagle target ammo in bulk. I wish there were a .40 equivalent of the South African 9mm surplus (PMP/DNL) for $110/k...

For defense, I use Proload 155 and 135gr.

I use UMC 180 FMJ for practice; never had a malfunction and it's reasonably accurate. Cheap and available at most Wal-Marts.

For serious defensive use, you'll have to shoot several brands of hollow points and see what the gun likes. My USP40C shoots best with 180 grain bullets, particularly Winchester 180 grain SXT.
Good Shooting, CoyDog

Back