H-K P7M8

tyro

I'm still on a quest to find the ideal (for me) handgun for CCW. I just read the following comments posted on Glock Talk: "HK P7, if money isn't a problem. No knock on Glock, but HK p7 is easy to handle, safe to carry loaded, accurate and least recoil. Hard to find right now, but it's the best 9mm in my opinion." And this in response to that: "My wife liked the P7M8 so much I just bought a second one. I like my Glocks, but the P7M8 is the ultimate 9mm."

Do any of you own a P7M8? If so, comments, please.

Check out this link, the Ultimate P7 Pro/Con faq.

http://ubb.hkpro.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000732.html

I bought a P7M8 because everyone said it was easy to use, accurate, safe and reliable. It is also relatively small for concealment. All that is true and I am amazed at the engineering. But what I fell for was the great out-of-the-box trigger.

Read the Pro/Con list, but before you make up your mind, find one to try out. Either you will love it, or you won't.

Also check out the The Cult of the P7:

http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

I own two of them. I liked the first one so much I bought a second one. One is new and one is a refurb. You won't go wrong with the P7M8. About the only con is the finish is not very durable. I plan to have the refurb. refinished first chance I get. Now if they could use the Glock tenifer treatment it couldn't get any better.

There was a VERY active thread regarding the P7 series here just a couple of days ago.

I've got a P7M13, which I carry in a shoulder holster just about every day.

I LOVE it.

Have both an M8 & 13. They are unique and quite addictive. Not to mention Superb triggers & accuracy. I like Glocks a lot but the P7's put them to shame.

They seem to be a very interesting gun but the con list looked like it had a few major issues for a 1k gun while the pro looked like a salesmans plug. I just dont know, if I shot one and fell in love well who knows. I just cant get past the price even though I admit they sure look like a neat packing gun.:)

One thing about the P7 guns concerning the price. If you can find a used one in good condition even if you don't like it you could still get most of your money back. The resale on these are excellent compared to most guns. I know it hard to spend over a grand on a gun for the first time. But after you do it once you'll do it again and again and again. Also consider one of the refurbs out there. I picked got one on an ad board for $525. I shoot this one now and have the original tucked away for a spare.

Hey Radom,

I was once where you are. Now I'm firmly in the pro-P7 camp.

Quite frankly, the cons are just not that serious and are quickly worked around. The pros make a good gun even better.

Bought a P7M8 today

Well, I did it. My local dealer had a new P7M8 and P7M13, but also had used, police, Arsenal Extra, non-refurb 8's and 13's. I ended up getting the used M8 because the grips seemed to fit my hand better than the 13. Usually, I prefer double stack mags, but not on the P7. However, now I'm jonesing for an M13 to make a pair. The only negatives to the used that I can see is slight holster wear. Mine shoots great and is in very good shape. Very accurate guns these little P7's. Interesting too, but still a lot of money for a used gun.

Pilot

Hello. I own an old style P7 with the extended European magazine release. Don't shoot it much as I prefer some other handguns, but it ain't for sale, either. Why? It works and is quite accurate.

I owned (briefly) a P7M13, but did not like the feel which is purely subjective. The gun was reliable and very accurate, however.

Best.

That's funny how I never really talked about the trigger on my PSP.

You are right. That is the best single action trigger I've ever felt. Smooth as silk but crisp with a definite break point.

But don't forget to think about the PSP for CCW. It is a tad thinner than the M8 with a heel mag release. Love mine. Sold my m8. Kept the PSP.

Tyro,
The P7 PSP is the model that predates the M8. Mag release is in the heel of the grip (European Style) making it slightly slimmer and it does not have a heat shield.
Ronin

tyro - when the west german police decided to upgrade from the .32 to 9mm they had a competition...there was the walther p5, the sig p6 (p225) and the hk p7. the p7 was originally refered to as the psp and had the euro mag release. the west german GSG-9 (sorta like a german SAS) adopted the p7

for the american military (m9) and police market, hk introduced the m-series m8 and m13. besides the bigger mag of the m13, the differences are:

larger sights
larger trigger guard
heat shield
removable striker (w/o tool)
ambi mag release @ root of the trigger guard

this made for a better belt gun, but the psp is still the better CCW weapon. i have both (psp-new, m8-refurb) the psp is much more comfortable to carry

the only druthers would be
m8 striker assembly - easy removal
heat shield
lighter weight - how bout a titinium frame?

Back