H&K P7M8 Cleaning Tips?

Der Grosse

Its time for me to move beyond field-stripping my P7M8 and clean out its gas-piston. Unfortunately, I'm a little confused. I know that I need to use the cleaning-key that came with it and work it down the piston. I also know that I have to use the cleaning brush that came with it and work it down the piston. But I don't know:

1. Whether to use any solvent/lubricant in cleaning the piston (I think not)?

2. Whether I need to take the grips off and clean out the guts of the thing?

3. Whether there is anything else I need to do?

The manual is a little hazy on specifics and I would appreciate any help that you can give me. Thanks.

I just insert the cleaning tool and give a few complete turns to scrape out the carbon, then use the brush and solvent on it. I leave the rings on the piston alone, but some others clean the buildup from the grooves. Every time I shoot them, I remove the grips(the slide has to be off the gun to remove the grips), and clean that up with solvent and a rag. Any further disassembly probably isn't necessary, and after you get a good look at what's under those grips, you will agree it's probably not a good idea.

Just gently ream out the gas piston with the tool HK provides--it isn't necessary to use any lubricant. The piston should not be aggressively cleaned, i.e., no sandpaper or steel brushes. If you reduce the diameter of the rings on the piston even slightly you'll increase recoil significantly.

Complete disassembly of P7 internals isn't for mere mortals. Take off the grips, use forced air or some sort of gentle contact cleaner to get rid of any crud, LIGHTLY oil friction points, and that's about it.

The other thing to do: take out the firing pin assembly, check that everything's in good shape, lightly oil and reinstall.

Make sure you don't dislodge the drop safety block spring inside the slide--difficult to reinstall if you do.

It isn't necessary to clean the gas port more than every 1000 rounds or so. In fact P7's seem to recoil a bit more for the first 100 rounds or so after a gas port cleaning.

P7 Cleaning

I clean my P7 after every 200 rounds (sometimes that means I let it sit for a week or two in between cleanings if I go to the range for 50 to 100 round 'quickie'). I use MPro7 cleaner on the frame and slide and the gel for the bore. I then let it sit for about 10 minutes (the P7 will get more fouling than other guns). I then wipe down the slide and brush it and then run a bore brush and patches through the bore. Re-lub and re-assemble. (This I do in 30 minutes, tops).

Every 500 rounds I clean the gas chamber and piston. The piston I clean by putting some Break-free CLP on a patch and rubbing it. The gas chamber I clean according to the manual.

Every 2000 rounds I take of the grip handles and spray the squeeze cocking mechanism with Gun Scrubber then lightly re-lube.

I have had my P7 for 6 years, followed this routine and I have never had a malfunction. The P7 is a combat handgun and I have found it to be very tough. I met a HK factory rep who laughed when he heard I cleaned my P7 after 200 rounds. He said he usually lets his P7 (which he carries daily) go 1000 before doing anything.

Hi
There are several of us who shoot P7M8 every Monday night. Shooting 50 to 75 rounds. Most run the scraper down the piston hole every 3 or 4 weeks, whenever it gets crunchy. Past that clean it about 4 times a year. I like to take off the Grips hose it with Brake cleaner (non chlorinated), Blow it off with air hose. Hose it with G96 blow it off. Clean barrel with Brush and Patch also with G96. Lube key points with Castrol Syntec.

When I carry every day in Fl. I put Rig all over the exposed surfaces let it sit in a hot car or under a 60 watt bulb for 2 or 3 hours then wipe it off with a shop towel after it cools. This seems to work great at keeping rust away even though the but of the gun is touching skin all day everyday.

Best Regards
Sam N

Back