H&K P7 or SIG P210?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanfunk

OK, here's my latest dilemma. I have an opportunity to give up my H&K P7, part with about 300 bucks, and take home a barely used SIG P210. Is this a gooooood/baaaaaad idea? Is the SIG that good/sweet/accurate---or will I regret giving up my P7? I know I can't really lose here, I just wanna make sure that I'd be exchanging greatness for greatness. Is the P210 good enough to be my ONLY autopistol? Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice!

------------------
semper ubi sub ubi

Mr. Vanfunk,

I would say no. The Sig 210 is a marvelous piece of old word craftsmanship. It is supremely accurate, well-built, and a beauty to look at. Unfortunately, the 210 lacks the qualities neccessary to qualify for "if I could only have one autopistol." The 210 is not very reliable with modern hollowpoints. The example I'm most familliar with, my brother's (he has since sold it), would only feed very conservative hollowpoints (old remington 115's that are basically roundnose with a small hole drilled int the tip). Virtually anything else he tried resulted in regular malfunctions. However, I imagine this flaw could be remedied by a competent gunsmith.

I personally couldn't see giving up a P7 for a Sig 210. The Sig would be a wonderful addition to a collection though.

GHB

If you really enjoy owning the P7, it shoots great and you like it, then hang on to it. You can always save your $$$, be patient, and buy the Sig later...

The Sig is a sweet gun though...

Just my $.02

Cheers,
AKrob

Vanfunk,

The SIG P210 is perhaps one of the finest auto pistols ever manufactured, but I would also have to agree with previous posts. It is more of a collectors piece, were as the HK P7 is a more versatile weapon (i.e. conceal carry, tactical self-defense, combat etc ;) both are reliable weapons and both are accurate. Is the 210 more of one or the other? I would say it is more accurate, but not enough to make a difference as a combat weapon. I would LOVE to own a P210! But to keep it as my only weapon would be against my 1911 heritage! Keep your P7 if it means that the 210 will be your only weapon! If you want to own one of the finest save and buy the 210 later...
All the while keeping your P7.

------------------
SURE SHOT

Well, after much debate and consideration, I went with my heart (not my wallet). I got the SIG 210. It is without doubt the most finely crafted handgun (much more so than the P7) I have ever handled. I have nothing against the P7-eau contraire-but the SIG really fulfills everything I'm looking for in a semiautomatic handgun and this time. Thanks again guys for the excellent feedback I received on this matter.

------------------
semper ubi sub ubi

CONGRATULATIONS VANFUNK!!!

I never owned either, but have studied both and read as many articles as I've been able to aquire on them. They both seem like awesome handguns. I have to agree that the SIG would be my preference though. It sounds like you got a great deal on it. Now you snatched up the deal and have the option of making a future purchase on another H&K, if you feel so inclined. My predictions are that if you do ever decide to expand and get another, it will be another model SIG. ;) Just my guess.

My guess is that the 210 you just bought will make target shooting so rewarding and so much fun that it will motivate you to learn as much about marksmanship that you will become a crack shot in order to improve to try to meet the guns potential. Not only that, but one thing we handgunners often forget is this. The more we enjoy and take pride of ownership,if you will, in our personal weapons, the more that we are likely to practice/train with it. There are some guns that have practical benefits beyond the one we own. Nevertheless, if we don't like that gun as well, we are less likely to really enjoy practicing and carrying it as frequently. I know that practicallity has its limitations and the guys on this thread have stated some valid points IMHO. Nevertheless, I believe that you had a great oportunity to get a rare find, at that price. The H&K has argueably some advantages over the SIG for general combat, while the SIG has a clear lead in terms of a target gun that can be a proficient fighter if used in that role. This is not a slam on the P7, for I considered buying one at one time and like them. I may be wrong but its large grip looks like it would limit its advantage over the 210 somewhat as a concealed carry ITWB gun. Van, you know better than any of us now that you are the only one here that has now owned both. You are the expert since you know the benefits/drawbacks first hand. I'm really interested in hearing about your experiences.

Check your newstand for a mag w/an article about Y2K handguns. I missed buying it at the time I saw it. When I went to get it at a different store, it was pulled off the shelf for the next month issue. Wish that I could remember the name of the mag. It was concerning the 210 as the ultimate "if I could have only one gun for Y2K". Maybe one of our friends here can help me remember. The writer refered to it as rifle accurate out of a handgun, well suited to take small/medium sized game at long ranges.
EQUALIZERplus@netscape.net
Take care friend,

Robert

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

[This message has been edited by EQUALIZER (edited November 08, 1999).]

Thanks, Robert, for your confidence in my choice! You make some excellent observations-no doubt my attraction to and confidence in my new SIG will help my marksmanship over the long haul. I read the article you refer to- by Leroy Thompson in HANDGUNS. He picked the 210 for his Y2K auto because of its offensive/defensive capabilities- I think he said that it was the only handgun he could count on to make reliable hits with at 100+ yards! Right now I barely feel worthy of owning such a treasure, but somehow I think I can get used to having this gun around...

------------------
semper ubi sub ubi

I have a list of pistols that I have wanted and the Sig-210 is one of them. The H&K P-7 was on my list untill just the other day when I found one at my local dealer.So now the Sig-210 and a WaltherPP Super are the last ones left on my list that I have any real hopes of finding.Good Luck.Very jealous ;)

So, where did you get it? Did you get it locally, or have it shipped? New or Used? I'm curious to find out where you bought it and how much you paid so I can find the best source for these pistols. I'm not interested in paying two grand if I could get it for less.

B Shipley-
My gun is used (barely) and was purchased for $1100 at a small gunshop in the Boston area. It is a Danish military contract gun, and has "HTK" and a crown stamped on the frame, which I imagine is the Danish ordinance mark. It has a very low serial number. The original finish is perfect- there is but one small blemish on the leading edge of the frame. It has the standard trigger (excellent) and sights (a bit teeny). It is absolutely the smoothest, most solidly constructed handgun I have ever handled. Obviously, I am very, very pleased. The price I paid seems to be in the middle of the range, with some similar examples going for $900, while others are listing at $1400-1600. I believe GunsAmerica has a few for sale in the latter range, but I'm not sure. I hope this helps.

------------------
semper ubi sub ubi

Thanks. I heard Kiesler had the best prices for new ones, but I've been to their site and they seem more dedicated to Police Sales, than stocking these high end guns for civilians. I can't even find a 210 in their catalog.

[This message has been edited by B Shipley (edited November 10, 1999).]

I swear I saw one of the Danish Contract P210's for sale in Gun Lists for roughly $700. That was a great deal and I wish I could have scrounged up the $ for one. Either way Vanfunk, you got a great pistol.
Some other virtues of the 210's design are all steel frame and slide, and excellent accuracy. It may not be as quick handling as some of the newer designs, but with time and practice you will do fine.
Another thing is that there are conversion kits for the 210 that allow you to shoot 22LR and several other calibers. That is if you can find them and afford them.

Take the money issue asside - the Sig P210 is at heart a SERVICE PISTOL. You could carry it day in and day out. The Sig is a work horse. If I had the money - sure - I would get the 210 and pack it like my grand-daddies Ruger. Just because I can.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Try to find a 22LR conversion unit and the ideal package will be complete. I take mine EVERY TIME I go to the range and fine tune my skills with the outstanding trigger using the 22LR conversion.

Enjoy!

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back