H&K G3 Vs. FN-FAL

Harlequin

Inactive
anyone got any opinions about how these two compare in reliability and such??
i have a g3 as a service weapon and i love it, but i keep hearing about the fal as a contender in the 308 leauge... anyone??

The FAL series was actually adopted by more countries than the g3 but that doesn't mean much. They both are rather easy to build. As a matter of fact FN seemed to prefer licensing out the FAL and have the contracted countries build locally. They both are rather easy to maintain also. The standard G3 is a little more accurate than the standard FAL and the G3 is easier to accurize than the FAL.
Though for usage, I'd give the nod to the FAL as it has an adjustable gas regulator with grenade setting.

You can also aquire a FAL Clone much cheaper than a G3 - or even a G3 Clone.
Mags for the FAL - at least a Metric pattern are much easier to find.

I especially liek the fat that the action of the FAL was designed by John M Browning and a FN engineer took that and designed it into the FAL. JMB was the greatist firearms designer ever - and his touch can be seen in the FAL with it's simplicity.

"There is only one god and John Browning is his prophet..."

how about field maintenance and such...
as i said, i'm only familiar with the g3 (or the mp5 for that matter) and i think it's one of the most reliable weapons i've used in recent years, but how is the fal in those respects??
lastly, what is the weight of a fal with a full clip loaded, and are there 203-variant launchers available for them??

I prefer the G3/HK91 to the FN FAL. The G3/HK91 is more accurate and you don't have to worry about a gas system failure, or broken/lost/missing parts.

As far as reloading goes, just keep your G3/HK91 brass segregated from the rest.

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

The FAL is pretty easy as to field maintenance. field stripping is done without any tools. Even the gas system can be field stripped without so much as a cartridge. There is a neat little field tool for the FAL though, if wanted.
The weight of the originals (without magazine) were 50.00 - 4.25 kg, 50.61 & 50.64 3.9 kg, 50.63 3.75 kg and the 50.41 & 50.42 - 6 kg according to The FAL Rifle by Blake Stevens.
As for the grenade launcher. The FAL series was designed to fire rifle grenades though The FAL Rifle book shows a 'Mini-FAL' fitted with a prototype TN 40 mm grenade launcher. It was not put into production according to the book.

Both these are excellent Rifles.

Accuracy I have found is practically the same. Both can hit a man at 400 metres with ease. I haven't "bench rested" either, to find a 'winner' it seems a pointless excercise to me.

The G3 I find a great deal easier to clean. I find the FAL more of a chore. More spots for gunk to build up in. (like the gas piston area)
I don't like cleaning guns, I only do it because I know I have to.

As far as Reloading, I don't reload 7.62 NATO so I have never worried about the effect the G3 has on Brass (which is significant).

Finally.......
On a subjective level I prefer to shoot the FAL. I prefer the Recoil cycle and I find it fits better and is more comfortable. But I repeat that this is purely subjective.

Yes you can 40mm LP Launchers that attach to either rifle.

The G3 also has a muzzle attachment that allows firing of rifle grenades using a special blank cartridge.

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

Rifle grenades tend fit on almost any rifle you care to name.

I prefer the concept of the bullet trap grenade to that of using blanks.

FN Manufacture the Bullet-Thru rifle grenade series, but I don't know too much about it. Other than it allows the bullet to transverse the grenade but traps the propellent gases.

[This message has been edited by Young Kiwi (edited February 18, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Young Kiwi (edited February 18, 2000).]

Back