H&K 91 Retractable

Paul Revere

A guy I know has an H&K 91 A3 (retractable stock version) that he is considering for sale. He says its in 98%-100% having only fired about 300 rds through it since he bought it new many years ago.

I've looked up the Blue Book value which shows that a best condition example of this piece to be worth about $1825. What do these things realistically go for out on the market today? I've heard everything up to about $2800. What's it really worth?

It appears that they are going for $2.5K and up, depending on what all comes with the piece. Hope this helps you.

PaulRevere,

If you've not had the experience of shooting a 91A3, I'd recommend running a couple of mags downrange before plopping down the xtra cash for that collapsible stock. The recoil-transmitting surface on that convex waffle-iron butt-pad is about the size of a quarter. It is designed to allow easy manuevering in/out of vehicles and close spaces. If you don't absolutely have to have that feature, get an A2. Your wallet and shoulder both will thank you.

------------------
Mykl
~~~~~
"If you really want to know what's going on;
then, you have to follow the money trail."
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited September 01, 1999).]

You can always find the A2 fixed stock at a pawn shop or gun show. If the price seems fair to you, buy it. If the rifle doesn't come with any extras (e.g. Mags, return-to-zero claw type scope mount w/1" spacers, 1200 meter sight, bayonet w/adapter, etc.) or the original paper work and manuals, negotiate a lower price. Also, if the bolt is of the "semi-only" type, this should lower the asking price. Good luck.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

I'd like to offer a second opinion on the comfort level of the HK91A3 retractable stock. I have shot one extensively in the high shoulder position. While the stock appears awkward, it handles recoil nicely. I have also fired an HK91A3 with an older style buttplate which was more traditional (crescent shape) in configuration. The older buttplate allowed for a lower mounting position. Guess what? Recoil was much worse and harder to bear with the older buttplate. I'd go with the newer awkward looking one for comfort. Looks funny, works great.

Just another opinion.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back