H/D Patterns?

ZVP

Once again I need to thank the Movies for inflating the"Facts" about shotguns and Buckshot! Movies always show 15" patterns firing at distances of 10yds!
Truthfully, the pattern at say 15 yards will stay inside a 9" paper plate, if it opened up, and maaybe as small as a 6" spread/
Remember this and please DO aim your shots with your Scattergun!
ZVP

That's right - the shooter will feel almost nothing, but his target will be tossed across the room like a ragdoll. Unfortunately for movies, physics exists..

ZVP,
What is the choke of your H/D shotguns, and have you actually patterned them? I have a 16 ga. Stevens sxs hammer gun with 20" barrels (cylinder chokes). I've never patterned it at 10 yards with #4 buck shot, but it has more than a 15" pattern at 15 yards with game loads. I get a 90% pattern in a 30" circle at 20 yards with 1 oz. #7.5 game loads.

I can see an 8" pattern at less than 10 yards. Likely less than 6" at 5 yards where I suspect most self defense shots would be taken. Again, has anyone actually patterned their H/D guns at those distances?

My 12 ga Pump is a cylinder bore. It fires a 9" pattern @ 15 yards.(
My Approx)
My 20 ga SxS has an improved and a full
I haven't had a chance to pattern the double due to Clay shooters hogging the range and always moving the heavy patterning board.
I'm new at eveluating a HD Shotgun and would like to learn what it's really ssupposed to pattern like. My 12 shoots Military 9 ball 00 buck.
My 20 ga shoots 20 ball #3 buck
I appreciate any help. thanks
ZVP

For the last HD shotgun I put together (an 870) I cut off a old waterfowl barrel at 18.5", so it had a very open choke.

With target birdshot loads it had like a 24" pattern at 10 yards - it basically just peppered the silhouette.

With 00 buckshot it was like 6" at the same.

I'd tested it with the birdshot first, and was going to toss the barrel (it was basically a scrap barrel before I'd started), but decided to give the buckshot a try and was very pleasantly surprised.

I'm guessing because of all the extra weight buckshot is less affected by turbulence and spreads out slower. But it definitely patterned significantly closer together.

Not to mention that movie guns never run out of ammo....
And good guys, and bad guys alike never carry a loaded pump shotgun. Even when danger is eminent. They always have to rack a round into the chamber at the last minute!

Back