guy at work selling 1911

Status
Not open for further replies.

legacy38

It's a series 80 mark(?) IV with a once piece guide rod, allen screws, all stainless steel with three magazines. The hammer has been shortened.

He's asking $500.

Und so? Are you asking if you should buy it, or letting us know in case WE want to buy it?

If it's a Kimber or Springfield Armory, go for it. If it's a Colt, I have heard only bad things about their series 80 1911s.

It's a Colt.

I'm not really interested in it. If I'm going to spend $500 on a gun, it'll be for a new one. I was just curious as to whether or not it was a good price.

I don't think the price is exceptional assuming it is a blue Govt model gun in .45 ACP caliber. Is it new enough to be the enhanced version? If so and he has the box and papers the $500 may be about right but I would like to see it closer to $400. A brand new CCO ltwt stainless is $509 NIB. If you want a carry gun I would rather have the CCO and a NIB 1991 is under $400. I think you can get a NIB hand fitted Kimber Custom Classic for $539 or less or a Custom Targer for $599.

Tell your pal at work he should be looking at lowering the price. 500 seems a lot for that one. 400 would be about right.
Jeff is right on the mark.

------------------
"Supreme authority derives from a mandate from the masses. Not from some farsicle aquatic ceremony."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

I have a Series 80 Gold Cup that I use like a Mark IV-- took out the tight bushing, and bang it around a lot. Shoots great and holds up. My only complaint is one that you'll hear from anyone used to the old style lockup-- the new-fangled(?) firing pin lockup is a major pain in the arse to take down, and adds a whole new level of completely unnesessary complexity to the pistol. I'd take out the whole business, but it'd leave these holes in my pistol's workings, and I wonder about the tolerances changing, etc. Mark me for a coward.

Anyway, it's likely a good shooter, just a tad more pricey than what I'd call a deal. If it's in like-new condition, he's just asking what it's worth.

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited September 11, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back