Gunz-n-Rosie

Jim V

What has happen to Gunz-n-Rosie? She has not been around for awhile. I would hope she is well and is continuing to educate her child regarding firearms.

G-n-R, if you are lurking - say hello once in a while.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum

Hello Jim and others! Still here. YIKES! Was I surprised to see a thread with my name on it. I've actually made a post or two in the last few weeks... although what I posted really didn't contribute a whole lot to the thread. :( I've been rather sick lately and am pulling single parent duty on top of that, so I haven't asked many questions here lately. I did however get up the nerve to ask a few questions related to the 20/20 show that aired last week on another site. I actually got out my question without being harrassed by locusts (LOL). But then again, that's the joy of being at a site that is actually moderated ;).

Yes, I'm still working on the gun education... and I'm finding it very difficult. Today, for instance, I was looking up some information (you guys got me addicted) and the site I called up on the Internet had a gun on it. My 4-year-old frowned his face and pointed at it saying "That's a bad gun. I don't like bad guns. It's for bad people." Ahhhh! This is so hard. My words are hard for him to understand. His only exposure to guns has been on what few movies he has seen (which includes Star Wars... those gun-type things anyway). He has never seen guns used for anything other than killing creatures (even if they are bad alien beings) or hurting other human beings (albeit "bad guys").... plus whatever he picks up from other children in preschool those three hours each day. I was "lurking" (he he he... we call it "eavesdropping" or "reading") to find some posts which contains information to help me out on this one. I've been to a few sites, but I'm not having much luck. So, since I saw this post with my name on it, I'll just go ahead and ask... here goes... another question:

Should I allow him to keep this apparent interpretation that guns are bad (although I'm trying to teach him that it's real and can be dangerous, but it's not bad)for now... or would this be a good opportunity to expose him to other uses for weapons? My instincts tell me that it would be a good short term solution, but probably a terrible long term one. Therefore, I have been looking for some television programs which depict guns being used for something other than killing (maybe target shooting, skeet shooting, biathalon... specials or regular programming... even videos). I am torn. Help. Any suggestions? :)

[This message has been edited by Gunz-n-Rosie (edited May 28, 1999).]

rosie,TNN and the outdoorlife network both have sport shooting programs.espn also ,but not often. pbs has out door programmig ,sometimes hunting-fishing shows.
tnn and oln are both satellite or cable channels.
for the young one, try teaching him that they (guns) are tools. just as power saws or drills can injure or kill if not used properly, so it is with guns.
maybe this will help.

cmore

Gunz and Rosie: I was in my local gun shop and looking through their "bone pile" of old trade ins. These are the guns that people have outgrown or tired of. Most are worthless, even as shooters, but they are also still very well made and crafted precision instruments. A few hours of sanding, refinishing, and some elbow grease along with some oil finishes can make a very attractive project. It might be a good way to introduce a child to the non-gun side of guns. Something that requires effort is around long after something that is just a purchase has faded. TV programs and such are OK, but real time together with a parent is priceless. I learned this lesson from my mother 35 plus years ago. When I was younger, my mother and I accompanied my father on a business trip to Philadelphia. While dad was in business mettings, mom and I browsed antique shops(mom browsed, I was dragged along
smile.gif
). At one shop, they had a display of swords. I wanted one. A deal was struck, I could have one ifI could save up for it. To make a long story shot, I saved for over a year and was still $5.00 short when we went back. Mom chipped in the extra 5.00, on the condition she could pick out the sword. I wanted a bright shiney reproduction, she *made* me buy a rusty old piece of junk. She helped me clean the rust off the blade, lots of scrubing with brillo pads and such, over the course of the next few evenings. We then went to the library and eventually the Phila. Nat Hist. Muse to track the origin of the sword. Amazingly we got to meet with the head man, who called in a few associates, to look at the sword. My rusty piece of junk was a civil war period calvery saber, nothing fancy, just your basic issue saber. One of the guys pointed out the marks on the blade that showed where the hammers struck during the forging, and another pointed out ominus black stains on the steel (yes it had seemingly seen real use for its' intended purpose). This is one of the most treasured items I own, not because of the history it had before me, but the memories the time mom and I spent building them. I don't really think of this sword as a weapon or an antique, even though it is both. To me it is something special. The memories of an 11 year old kid, dragging a sword around the streets of Philadelphia! Imagine that today! I even took this thing to school on numerous occasions for the historical value. Even though, as pointed out to me, in a very serious tone, that this was a weapon at one time, I never viewed it as such. Build memories and respect, not fear and loathing. Guns are much more than weapons or tools.

[This message has been edited by Hal (edited June 13, 1999).]

I don't have children, and lots of other TFL members can give you better ways to educate your kids than I can.

But I can say that the longer your child believes that "guns are bad", the harder it will be in the future to teach the truth. I would not delay seeing to this problem!

And you have come to right place for advice on how to convince your child that that a gun is only what the person holding it makes it to be.

Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon!

-boing

[This message has been edited by boing (edited June 13, 1999).]

I'd have to say this..
4 years old? Stick to "guns are bad"
When I was 4, Girls were bad, Artichokes were bad, all kinds of stuff was bad. Strangely, Twinkies were good.
Things have changed alot since then, and I havent had a Twinkie in years!
smile.gif

I would teach "Don't Touch and tell an adult", and don't even push the gun issue on the kid.
When he's around 10, buy him a cheap bb gun..and go have some fun with it plinking soda cans for a few days. Then convince him to shoot himself in the foot with it (I didn't need any coaxing myself). Instant respect is then gained, and you should go out and get him a high quality pellet rifle. Test the waters and ask him to shoot himself in the foot with it (BUT DON"T LET HIM). If he says "No Way!", then you've done well.
Now at 10, he has his own rifle, he enjoys it as a fun "good" thing, but has respect for it's power.
That's how I came up anyway.
At 15 I was given a 38spl target pistol from my step dad that he let me shoot many times on the range, and at 18 I had a Mini-14.
So far, so good. I've stayed out of trouble, and now enjoy firearms as a positive part of my life, and I still control my firearms..they never control me.
Just my thoughts...hope it helps.
Salute to you GNR for caring.

------------------
Same Shot, Different Day

Our 6 year old was helping me clean the pistols and rifles for the last 2 or 3 years. When we go out shooting we take plastic bottles filled with colored water and then shot them. She is well aware for her age what the power of a firearm is capable of and that they are not toys. Last time out shooting she wanted to shot the 38, 45ACP and M1 Garand. She had to have help on all the weapons but relly liked shooting and cleaning them. We went out and got her a 22 to learn on all her own. Now all she wants to do is go shooting.

She also wants to watch eddie the eagle video more than barney anymore then runs around telling her little sister not to touch any guns and to tell an adult if they find any.

You can never be exposed to firearms to young and once kids develoup an attitude it's a real pain to redirect them. Our girls have been exposed to firearms all their life and they think theyr a normal part of living. The hardest part is to teach them not to tell anybody if they ask that mommy and daddy have guns in the house, as that's nobodys busness but mommy and daddy's.

GNR. I wonder where the "guns are bad" comes from. Could it be from his day care provider?
I raise four kids around guns, and never had a problem. They knew that they, and their friends were never to touch them at any time. If they wanted to look at them, or show them to their friends, I allowed it under my supervision. Never under any circumstance did I refuse their request. I was even late to work a few times because of this policy. My kids all handle guns safely and know how to use them.
I shot my first rifle at age 6. We were at a picnic, and the men were plinking with a lever action .22. I was scared stiff of the guns, but I still was sufficiently curious that I wanted to try. I pestered them until they said OK. Now being 6 years old, and not knowing one gun from another, they gave me a 30-30 deer rifle. One of the men held the barrel to control it's direction. When that sucker went off, it came up and weacked me on the nose, giving me one heck of a nose bleed. I was sure surprised. I asked to try is again. This time they gave me the .22. I was hooked. By the way, that old 30-30 is one of my most prized possessions. I killed my first deer with it years ago. It was my great grandfather's rifle. There are many pleasant memories tied to that rifle.
Paul B.

I suppose I would show your youngster that weapons are the tools of the warrior. Read him stories or show him movies where weapons were used for good. "Quigley, Down Under" comes to mind. Also, "Robin Hood." "Braveheart" is a bit complicated for a young mind to understand. Look for videos of the "Lone Ranger", etc. The possibilities are endless.

------------------
Bruce Stanton
CDR, USN-Ret.

GNR, try looking at the materials provided by the Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership (JPFO) at: www.jpfo.org
They have several comic book style pamphlets on what guns are about, and even a coloring book about Making Firearms' Safety Fun.

My dad taught me to shoot a .22 rifle when I was 5, under his supervision, of course. I also learned at that age that I was not to touch any gun without his permission, but he would show them to me whenever I was curious.

I have enjoyed and respected firearms safely for almost 30 years now, and I think that my training at a young age had something to do with that.

Thanks again for all the information and ideas. I noticed a post about A&E having gun week. I'll have to look into that. I think it's time to order that Eddie the Eagle program (regardless of whether or not they decide to use it at school)... and look into the stuff Ipecac suggested. When things start settling down around our house, I'm going to investigate and see if I can find someone who owns a gun to help us out just a little. I enjoy being able to come here and ask questions and hear all your stories. Listening to your memories, oddly enough, I remember shooting paper plates with my own brother with his pellet rifle... and how much fun it was to be better at target shooting than he was (even though we only did that a few times). Maybe we'll have to try that again sometime. Thanks again for helping me.
smile.gif

Back