Gunsock for Ruger LCR

The Rattler

I have a 2012 Ruger LCR 22 revolver with a 1 3/4” barrel. It’s total length is 5 3/4”. It is a home defense gun for my wife who has arthritic hands. She never fires it despite my attempts to persuade her to do so.

Is there a silicone treated gunsock for these smaller snub nosed type revolvers that don’t “swallow” them up. A 14” gunsock for handguns is simply too long. I’ve seen a 12” gunsock, but that is way too large as well. A gun this size is simply too hard to remove from the sock, especially if she needs to do it in a hurry.

Any ideas of how we can keep this gun in a way it is protected from rusting?

it wont rust if it is like the two lcr/s i have. it is made from carbon composite and stainless steel. if it isnt like my two, ignore my reply.

Any ideas of how we can keep this gun in a way it is protected from rusting?
Wipe it with a silicone cloth, run a lightly oiled patch through the bore, and chambers in the cylinder.
Unless you live on a ship in the ocean, or a seaside beach there isn't much rust to worry about when taking these simple measures.

It is a home defense gun for my wife who has arthritic hands. She never fires it despite my attempts to persuade her to do so.
This is a much more serious issue than the extremely low likelihood of rust. Maybe a firearm of any type isn't the best option for home defense in her situation.

I know someone who did have a revolver rust, but here's how: She laid it on the carpet under a night stand for.... 30 years? In a house without central heating/cooling, and never touched it since. It was a colt detective special, blued. One whole side was crusty/rusty. The other side looked fine! We took it out, oiled it up while leaving the rust on, and what do you know, it works. Arthritis is in the picture but she can manage to squeeze the trigger when she needs to. She and her husband have just taken an interest into training and carrying - but it can't be forced.

Yes, having it is better than not. Practicing even empty (double check!) would be even better. I've heard of people using dry wall anchors (Hillman 370326 on Amazon) as snap caps/dummy rounds for 22 firearms. It gives someone a chance to practice loading and unloading too, and ensures no live rounds are in place because the dummy round is there.

Maybe your wife would humor you for 5 minutes every few weeks to try it out.

Give me a heads up when you've figured out how to make a Ruger LCR rust.

My LCR did rust!.. Just barely, around the base of the front sight. It was nothing a wire brush and a little oil couldn't take care of.

Unless you are planning on storing your LCR with the goldfish then it is extremely unlikely that your's will rust to a point of non-functionality in the remainder of your lifetime.

if she wont even fire it for familiarity, she will choke and freeze if and when the boogie man comes because she's got that "it won't happen to me attitude". other than that, the LCR won't rust if you just stick in a dresser drawer unragged.

I own 4 LCR's...they are stored in a high humidity environment and there is no perceptible signs of rust. Frames are either stainless or aluminum on the LCR's. Only lubrication they receive is from the petroleum base in the Hoppes 9 solvent and an occasional drop of Rem oil on the trigger pivot pin.

It is a home defense gun for my wife who has arthritic hands. She never fires it despite my attempts to persuade her to do so.

I agree with Cheapshooter. What are her reasons for her not firing it? Anticipated recoil? Noise? Just doesn't like guns? Perhaps she would be wise to consider another method of personal protection such as pepper spray or wasp spray on her nightstand.

"...She never fires it..." Probably hurts. Arthritis is like that. And at 14.9 ounces even a .22 is likely to hurt to shoot. She might as well not have the thing if she's not going to use it.
Ruger's LCR 22 revolver is made of AL and SS with a polymer fire control housing. Isn't likely to rust.
Mind you, most gun socks are polyester/acrylic knit. You can cut 'em to any size with regular scissors.

I managed to get some rust on an old single action revolver by storing it for a couple weeks in a CHEAP unlined leather holster.

For me, holsters are really frustrating things but that experience taught me, at a minimum, to get name brand stuff with a good reputation. It really doesn't sound like you'd need a holster at all for your situation but if you ever do don't go cheap.

Take a white athletic sock and cut off enough of the ankle so the gun fits. Get a can of spray silicone inside and out. Let dry and turn the sock inside out and store the gun in it. Doing this keeps the “textured” side of the sock from imprinting on the gun. I have done this a number of times

i like and sometimes ccw a ruger lcr 22lr. however combining its stout dao trigger pull, athritis and never practice routine make o.p.’s lcr a magic amulet and not a defensive handgun. sorry to be rude but rust should be the very least of o.p.’s concerns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back