Gunsmithing Ruger Revolvers

Stoic

Who here has sent their Ruger Revolver for gunsmithing work to smooth the action?

When I owned Ruger revolvers I always wanted to send them for trigger work to improve their lackluster trigger feel. The Ruger revolvers are tough as nails, but their trigger feel is lacking in my opinion.

When I owned a pair of Rugers, I couldn't find anyone who specialized or customized Ruger actions--only S&W.

However, I recently discovered that Gunsmith Jack Weigand customizes Ruger revolvers.

http://www.jackweigand.com/

It seems that the savings on a Ruger Revolver would allow for the added gunsmithing when compared to the prices of other revolver brands.

I just got my KGP-141 back from Jack Weigand: precision (carry) action job; ported barrel; and Ashley Outdoors combat sights. I'm going to take Concealed Handgun Permit training March 8-10, and am now considering supplementing the KGP-141 by getting Weigand's customized (carry action job and barrel porting) version of the KSP-321XL (2" SP 101 with shrouded hammer). The AO sights are SO GOOD on the KGP-141! I find I need ported barrels to avoid painfully aggravating my arthritic 67 year old hand and wrist, and boy do my eyes ever need the aid of the AO sights!

Tyro,

Congratulations on your customized Rugers! Please let us know how they shoot now compared to their uncustomized state. How do the actions feel? Are they now comparable to a good S&W action?

Stoic: So far, I only have the KGP-141; the KSP-321XL is still on the wish list - I'll wait until the end of the two month Concealed Handgun Permit application process to work out before ordering Weigand's version of the KSP-321XL. I have never had occasion to handle an S&W, so I cannot compare any S&W with the KGP-141, which now has a nice and smooth trigger pull. By the way, Weigand's combat action job does not involve any change in the stock springs; he offers such changes only for guns intended for competition rather than combat.

My local smith did a great job on my wifes sp-101. With a hair lighter spring (no light srikes ever) and rounding and polishing the trigger, its very nice. No its not as good as a Smith but nice all the same. Also they do get better with alot of dryfiring and shooting.

Back in the eighties there was a
magazine called Pistolero.
Some of the worst writing ever committed,
but they pulled no punches.

In one issue of Pistolero or one of their
ancillary publications, they suggested
filling a tub with gasoline, immersing one's
Ruger revolver in it and pulling the trigger
a couple hundred time. The concept was that
the gasoline would burnish the working parts.
Sounded semi-plausable to me, so I tried it.
Darned if it didn't work. I guess they weren't
as concerned about law suits back then.
I am not suggesting anyone try this.

Gunsmithing Rugers

I have lots of Rugers and find that changing the springs for the lightest one Wolfes make is almost as goods as a trigger job or smithing, just make sure you don't get light primer hits. I've never had a problem with this but best to check on reliabilities.

Back