Gunsmith Visit

Yes, sir- understood that.
But when you take the firearm to the smith, he's going to need to log it into his Bound Book with the owner's information- and that cannot be you since you can't legally own a handgun until you're 18.

You cannot purchase one through a Dealer/FFL until age 21. But, it's obviously not uncommon for parents to gift handguns to their children in that 18-21 year old bracket. Acquiring one in that manner or private sale as allowed by state/local laws is not prohibited. But not being even 18 is an absolute dealbreaker- Mom or Dad is going to need to bring the pistol to the smith for service.

Even if you could bring it, you can't get it back. I am a gunsmithing student and my school is an FFL but I am 20 years old and cannot bring a handgun unless I want it to stay there until I turn 21

Even if you could bring it, you can't get it back

IF he were at least 18 years of age, there would be no problem as regards Federal law where one can own a firearm under the circumstances I described above. The prohibition at your school, is either school policy or state/local law.

Is there not an issue with an FFL transferring a handgun to a person under 21? I don't recall any exemption for repair from that law

Is there not an issue with an FFL transferring a handgun to a person under 21? I don't recall any exemption for repair from that law

Repair/Service is not a transfer/4473 transaction (which is why my customers direct ship to me and vice-verse). I will admit the law doesn't register highly on the "sense" scale to me- that I can't sell/4473 transfer a handgun to an 18 year old, but they can legally own one through the other means and bring/ship for service or repair.

Back